Kern 50mm f1.9 Macro Switar Apochromat

This is a discussion on Kern 50mm f1.9 Macro Switar Apochromat within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; I have an old "normal" lens. Focal length 50 mm. It was made in Switzerland by optical company Kern. I do not think they are ...

I have an old "normal" lens. Focal length 50 mm. It was made in Switzerland by optical company Kern. I do not think they are in business anymore. (I need to check that.) The lens is NOS. I have pulled it out of its box and verified that everything on it works properly. It is beautifully made. It appears to be a high end product. There are 2 protective caps on the lens; one on the front and one where the camera body attaches. This lens was made for use with an Alpa camera. The lens has an Alpa bayonet mount.

The box holding the lens looks brand new. The box is foam lined top and bottom. In the box, along with the lens and caps, is a 35mm transparency. It is a test shot verifying the resolution of the lens. The test shot includes the serial number of the lens in the center of the shot. The serial number on the lens itself matches the test shot and matches the serial number printed on an odd label on the bottom of the box. I would estimate that this lens was manufactured between 1970 and 1974. I am pretty sure the date of manufacture could be accurately determined from the serial number.

Here is the question: How do I accurately assess the current value of this lens? For example, what value should I place on it for insurance purposes? I believe that this lens, in its present pristine state, is a rare item. I find it difficult to find much information on Kern lenses, as well as other Swiss lenses. I could find lots of information about Leica or Zeiss lenses, but not these Swiss lenses. I need general information about them as well as a way to accurately assess their value. Any information on this would be appreciated. Thank you.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the forum! Is this it?

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Hi. Thank you for the welcome.

That be it! That's the lens alright. But mine is new... not a mark on it.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links