New to film, help?

This is a discussion on New to film, help? within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Hey, i am fairly new to film and this forum so i was just wondering if anyone on this forum could help me out (it ...

Hey, i am fairly new to film and this forum so i was just wondering if anyone on this forum could help me out (it looks great by the way). I just got a minolta xg1 with 45mm standard lens and a 72mm vivitar 28-200mm macro focusing zoom lens (if there are any mistakes in there sorry, im not really sure what im talking about). I have some b/w film and colour and i really want to get into photography, which this forum can hopefully help in.
    I just have a few questions before i start :
    1. Is the camera i have OK?
    2. Are the lenses i have OK?
    3. What should my next lens be?
    4. How do i get into freelance photography?

At the moment i am in south africa on holiday so i am hoping to find some great pictures, (if anyone wants any pictures i can take them ) and i also go to switzerland alot so i think i have some great locations to get pictures.

I AM brand new to photography so basically, i am just wondering how to start and get into it if anyone can help me please do

peace
    goofyflip
    Minolta XG-1 w/ rokkor 45mm f/2.4
    Canon 20d w/ sigma 28-70mm f/4
    Canon P

1. Yes

2. The prime lens should be excellent. The zoom will probably range from mediocre to pretty good.

3. None. Just use these for a year or two. Then you will know what your next lens needs to be.
    "I donít use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

thank you for your quick reply, any tips for a begginer?
    Canon P

Shoot a lot. Take notes. Study and practice.
    "I donít use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

ok thanx for your ideas
    Canon P

PHOTO EDITING OK
    just keep in mind (or write down) the conditions and camera settings (like diafragm and shutter speed) you took certain images at and then see what can you do differently if they didn't come out right.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links