Pentax K1000

This is a discussion on Pentax K1000 within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; I was telling my mum the other day that I got a new camera for my birthday recently. I made some grumblings about how I ...

Thread: Pentax K1000

I was telling my mum the other day that I got a new camera for my birthday recently. I made some grumblings about how I wished I could have one of my father's camera bags (he was passionate about photography but still realized that it was not a calling- it was relaxation) which I thought she had gotten rid of after my father passed away. Lo and behold she didn't, so I drove out to her place today to pick one up. What did I find??? A dusty old camera with three shiny lenses still in the bag. Complete with filters, etc.

After an arduous trip to Walmart to find film which somehow wasn't stocked with the rest of the camera equipment but off in a dingy little corner of the store, and compare batteries, I am ready to wake up tomorrow and test this baby out! I've been doing some research on the internet and it seems like this camera is a solid work horse... and as far as I can tell, it still does work.

I'm just wondering if there is anything else I should check or if I should let excitement take over and just load it up.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Take off the lens and take a good look at the light seal (its a thin strip of felt looking material) that you will see around the Mirror and prism. It should be flexible and complete, if bits come off on your fingers or there are black blobs missing you will get light leaking into the film compartment. For better advice google the subject as there are sites out there that tell you how to test and replace the seals.

Also check the seal around the film compartment (providing you haven't put film in already).

Hope it helps.
    Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words "I have a cunning plan" marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?

Edmund Blackadder

Quote Originally Posted by tyke View Post
    Take off the lens and take a good look at the light seal (its a thin strip of felt looking material) that you will see around the Mirror and prism. It should be flexible and complete, if bits come off on your fingers or there are black blobs missing you will get light leaking into the film compartment. For better advice google the subject as there are sites out there that tell you how to test and replace the seals.

Also check the seal around the film compartment (providing you haven't put film in already).

Hope it helps.
    I did a quick google search and have checked the seals. So far, it looks good. Thanks for the advice.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links