Which Wide Angle Lens do you prefer?

This is a discussion on Which Wide Angle Lens do you prefer? within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Dear all, I'm tossing up buying a new wide angle lens for my Olympus OM10 and am not sure which one to go for. I ...

Dear all,

I'm tossing up buying a new wide angle lens for my Olympus OM10 and am not sure which one to go for.
    I already have a 70-210 Series 1 Vivatar lens and 50mm standard Zuico lens that came with the camera. Now, I need a lens for wider landscape and outdoor shots mainly as I'm trekking across the Gobi desert for the next 9 months and thus I'd like your opinions. My choices are buying either a:

a) 28mm or similar Zuico lens,
    b) Third party (likely Tamron) 28-70mm lens.

Though weight is a priority, will I lose quality by going with the Tamron? Is there one preferred wide angle lens for general use? If I go for B I'll likely sell my 50mm lens. This is new territory for me and I'd really appreciate your experiences.

Best Regards,
    Stephen

Ok, let me narrow it down more as this is probably a common question on this board. Would you consider a Zuiko 28mm a better choice lens for most outdoor wide angle situations over a 28-70mm lens?

In keeping the zoom, I'd sell my 50mm Zuiko lens and benefit from a greater range but lesser quality. Basically I've never had a wide-angle before and few shop assistant can offer good experiences.

Cheers. Steve

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    For quality landscape a fixed lens say 17mm , or near will give the better quality results , that's for sure...

simon.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links