Which medium format SLR?

This is a discussion on Which medium format SLR? within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a medium format SLR now that I've gotten into medium format via my Yashica-D. I was thinking of a ...

Hi guys. I'm looking to buy a medium format SLR now that I've gotten into medium format via my Yashica-D. I was thinking of a Hasselblad 500CM, but I realized that there are some Mamiya and Bronica cameras that rival it for less money. I'd like to put together a whole outfit (Camera, finder, back, lens) for $500 or less if I can, but I'll go above that point if it's really worth it. Can anyone give me some advice as to which models would be best and most versatile?

Thanks!

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Rovingeye,

I've been a Hasselblad user my entire career. So, I don't have much experience with Mamiya or Bronica -- although they are both certainly considered worthy options.

I doubt that a 500CM with lens, reflex viewfinder and back will be found for $500. You'll need to do some research. But I imagine for $1,000 you will be able to put a system together. Considering the quality of the camera and the Zeiss lenses and compared to the original purchase price, $1,000 is a pretty good deal.

Hope this helps.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

Hi there, thanks for the quick reply. I'd expect a Hasselblad system to be more costly, but I thought perhaps something like a Mamiya or Bronica would cost closer to $500 than that. I definitely have a thing for Hassies, so I'm very tempted.

I have the Bronica ETRSI with standard 75mm lens. It has worked very well for the 2 years I have used it. It is an enjoyable way for me to slow down and think through a shot again. I am pleased with it. A friend that I work with got a Mamiya 645 and he has not had any problems with it. I think either system would work for you

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links