Lenses

This is a discussion on Lenses within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Hi!!! I'm wanting to expand my photography skills and looking at buying a Canon EOS 400D Digital SLR. Canon have a kit containing two lenses. ...

Thread: Lenses

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hi!!!

I'm wanting to expand my photography skills and looking at buying a Canon EOS 400D Digital SLR.

Canon have a kit containing two lenses. An 18-55mm and a 75-300mm lense.

Are these lenses practical, useful lenses or am I better off buying a body and different lenses? My main subjects are the kids but I'm really keen to broaden my photography horizons.

I'd really appreciate some feedback and opinions.

Thanks!!!!!
    Lotsa luv from where the palm trees sway!!

Vicki

Check out my scrapping blog here Vicki's Vice

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks so much for this. If I'm going to spend a whole heap of dollars I want to know what I'm buying.

Does anyone have a Canon? If so - are you happy with it and what lenses do you mostly use?
    Lotsa luv from where the palm trees sway!!

Vicki

Check out my scrapping blog here Vicki's Vice

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Vicki,

Here is my answer to your question:

Yes, I like my Canon. I have a 350D.

My favorite all around lens: Canon EF 28-135 IS USM. For the money I think it's a great lens. Very versatile.

However, if I were in your position this is what I would do:

1. Buy the body. If you really want the kit lens you can probably pick one up for about 10 bucks on eBay or something. I heard there was a company selling the bodies and only charging $7 extra for the 18-55. It's not bad to have if you are shooting in a harsh environment. I dropped mine out my backpack and didn't skip a beat.

2. If you are wanting to get some great shots of the kids and expand your photo horizons, I would suggest getting the Canon 50mm 1.4 mentioned in MOD's post. Shoot with it until you really learn it, and then when you want to branch out to something else like sports or landscapes, get a good zoom or wide angle.

Those are my 2 bits.

In the end, you do what really makes sense for you, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Linc
    Canon EOS 40D, EF 28-135 IS, Canon EF 100 Macro, Sigma 10-20, Canon 100-400 IS USM.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links