Help for buying new equipment

This is a discussion on Help for buying new equipment within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; I am new to photography Mainly, I am interested in wildlife photography I currently use a Canon EOS Rebel S II with a 35-105 lens ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I am new to photography
    Mainly, I am interested in wildlife photography
    I currently use a Canon EOS Rebel S II with a 35-105 lens

I am looking at upgrading, atleast the lens for sure
    What are some good for photographing wildlife
    I am looking for older ones because I can't afford something new
    I also would like something that zooms in more
    (I was thinking maybe a 300?)

Thanks for any help

-Tyler
    Tyler

The most Southwest point in the continental US
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hi Tyler,

I was curious why you want to stay with a film camera. I resisted getting into digital photography for a long time, but I really think the writing is on the wall for film. I still have several medium format film cameras, and I drag one out every once in a while and go off on some kind of nostalgia expedition.

Anyway.... to get to your question. A 250mm or 300mm lens is probably the minimum focal length you want to consider for wildlife photography. The longer the better, as most critters aren't into closeups. I'd definately consider used equipment if your are going to stay with film. I'm not a big fan of buying stuff on eBay, but they do have some bargains... but on the other hand it's easy to get burned. Buy the best lens you can find that you can afford.

My real suggestion, however, is to save up and look for a used digial camera and a couple of lenses. There are a lot of used 30Ds (even 40Ds) floating around. Your EF lenses for your EOS film camera will work on them, but won't do everything the new EFS lenses will.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links