Choosing B&W Film For A SLR...

This is a discussion on Choosing B&W Film For A SLR... within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; Newbie here. I have dug out my old Pentax SF10 and I am looking for some help to pick out Black and White Film. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Newbie here.

I have dug out my old Pentax SF10 and I am looking for some help to pick out Black and White Film.
    I will be up in New Hampshire and Maine next month, so all of my pics will be outdoors.
    Fuji, Kodak, Ilford?...Does it really matter?

Thanks!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the forum.
    Unfortunately I cannot help with your question - last time I used a b&w film was in 1992.
    David Hume (1742)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    It really is personal preference. I like Fuji Neopan 100 myself but get a roll of whatever and try it. You will soon have a personal favorite.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks for the welcome.
    The last time that I used B&W film was in 1991, it was the same year that I bought my Pentax.

I was thinking of just looking for the best deal (on ebay) and purchasing the film that way.
    I am looking forward to taking B&W almost exclusively on this vacation.

The most Southwest point in the continental US
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hi fischfan13, Welcome to the forum. It's hard to suggest a b&w film without knowing what kind of pictures you are going to be taking. I'm also not a great fan of buying things on eBay. If you shop some of the big photo stores online, you really won't pay a lot more, and you will most likely get fresher film, a better selection, and have more assurance of dependable service.

I like shooting b&w in my collection of old Retinas and also in my medium format TLR or one of my field cameras. It's kind of a hassle however, as I have to pretty much send if off to be processed at one of the specialty labs, since I no longer have a darkroom. Stay away from C41 process b&w. It leaves a lot to be desired. The rule of thumb I always go by, is to use the slowest film I can get by with.... I love ASA 40 for landscapes. Hard to beat that fine grain, especially if you plan on making enlargements. If you are shooting people and family type pics, you will probably want something faster. The brands all seem to be about the same in their b&w films, except that some offer a greater range of speed. One of my favorites is Ilford.

Kodak 100 I got some great shots with it!
    Canon Rebel 400D/XTi, EF-S18-55mm, EF 70-300mm IS USM, EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro, EF-S 10-22mm, Speedlight 430EX II

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hi fischfan13, Welcome to the forum. It's hard to suggest a b&w film without knowing what kind of pictures you are going to be taking. I'm also not a great fan of buying things on eBay. If you shop some of the big photo stores online, you really won't pay a lot more, and you will most likely get fresher film, a better selection, and have more assurance of dependable service.

I like shooting b&w in my collection of old Retinas and also in my medium format TLR or one of my field cameras. It's kind of a hassle however, as I have to pretty much send if off to be processed at one of the specialty labs, since I no longer have a darkroom. Stay away from C41 process b&w. It leaves a lot to be desired. The rule of thumb I always go by, is to use the slowest film I can get by with.... I love ASA 40 for landscapes. Hard to beat that fine grain, especially if you plan on making enlargements. If you are shooting people and family type pics, you will probably want something faster. The brands all seem to be about the same in their b&w films, except that some offer a greater range of speed. One of my favorites is Ilford.
    Great advice Jerry.

I buy Kodak film but since it is a medium format camera I pretty much stick to a local lab that I know has film that has been stored properly. ALthough I don't mind buying things on eBay, I think buying film on ebay might be like buying fresh produce there, not something you want to buy without having a good feel for it....

Steve J

Network Engineer,
    Web Master and
    Photographer

Follow me @sjj57 on Twitter and on Facebook and LinkedIn

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Back in '91 (before there was the internet) I would buy magazines and purchase my film thru stores that advertised in these mags. I guess a valid point was made, and I will reconsider purchasing my film via Ebay.
    I am planning on taking the B&W's of the outdoors in Bar Harbor, Maine. I was thinking of buying different speeds...for example boat rides and shots of my family.

Try them all. Life is to short not to.
    To make a difference in someones day or life, just be nice.

IAFF L-726

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Oops....

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links