Black & White Pictures

This is a discussion on Black & White Pictures within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; So, as the title shows, how could I get B&W-pictures with a film-camera. Specifically with the Olympus Trip 35 (see Signature). I would guess you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Black & White Pictures

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

Thumbs up

So, as the title shows, how could I get B&W-pictures with a film-camera.
    Specifically with the Olympus Trip 35 (see Signature).
    I would guess you can buy B&W film?

And are there also other ways to get them?
    Like I saw another Topic about some kind of filters?
    I also keep forgetting, there might be the possibility to let them get developed in B&W?
    Or would that not be possible from color-film?

Also, with Film, would I need to look at the ISO or other details or is it my own choice?
    Because I worked with this camera before, and I had to set the ISO or ASA I think it was.
    I never knew exactly what it was back then and my parents just told me "the roll is ISO100".

I don't know if it's a good idea to use this specific camera anymore.
    My parents keep saying it makes good pictures and I think our old ones are pretty nice.
    In any way, I'd think I could at least make some nice looking pictures with an "old" style to them right?
    Oh, for that I actually meant either B&W or Color, of course B&W would make it look extra "old". :P
    - Damage Inc. / MicHaeL
    PS: Excuse my sometimes long signatures, I just try to be specific and detailed.

EquipmentDigital: Previously Canon PowerShot A520 (2004 / 4MP) - Currently Canon PowerShot SX100 IS (2007 / 8MP)Film: Might be trying an old Olympus Trip 35 (still...)Printer: Canon PIXMA iP5000 DeskInkJet - HP A826 PhotoprinterScanner: Epson Perfection 3590 PHOTOAccessories: SanDisk Extreme III SDHC [4GB] / Canon PSC-100 / Canon NB4-300

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yes you can still get B&W film but it is expensive and so is the processing. A good alternative is to buy colour and post process into B&W after scanning.

As a price guide 24 Black and White photos for processing and printing at 6x4 is 16 here in the UK that is 25 of the silly money (Euros). on eBay 2 x FUJI NEOPAN 400 35MM 36 EX B&W NEGATIVE FILM CF60 is 9 including postage..

JoeyMas
    What is film?
    John B. likes this.

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    What is film?

http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I would have to say it depends on the look you are going for in the photograph. I have always felt that true black and white film is much better than turning color film into black and white. It just seems like you lose something in the process, but I'm not exactly sure what. However if you want the option of some color photographs too, then just shoot in color.
    I haven't shot with film in so long I miss it!
    Rachel
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer. ~Ansel Adams

Our Studio Website

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yes, that's actually what I meant, that true Black & White effect.
    I also find you can pretty much "see" when it's a color-picture that has been edited into B&W.
    I'm also not sure how, maybe it just looks more "digital" or "modern" or maybe just better/sharper quality.
    Like my Avatar, nobody would believe that was shot with Film, it's just too sharp or clear or something.

But I was just thinking of using B&W-Film for that Trip 35 like I said.
    Maybe when I go out and shoot pictures of things I could occasionally shoot some in B&W Film.
    Which would just be a nice extra with a true B&W-Effect.
    So I'd have a series of high-quality Digital pictures, with 1 or 2 B&W ones.
    Carefully shot instead of a "sloppy bunch" with a Digital Camera Effect.
    - Damage Inc. / MicHaeL
    PS: Excuse my sometimes long signatures, I just try to be specific and detailed.

EquipmentDigital: Previously Canon PowerShot A520 (2004 / 4MP) - Currently Canon PowerShot SX100 IS (2007 / 8MP)Film: Might be trying an old Olympus Trip 35 (still...)Printer: Canon PIXMA iP5000 DeskInkJet - HP A826 PhotoprinterScanner: Epson Perfection 3590 PHOTOAccessories: SanDisk Extreme III SDHC [4GB] / Canon PSC-100 / Canon NB4-300

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    So, could I just buy any roll you see here?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/330/35m...35mm_Print.html
    There seem to be a LOT of B&W Films and not expensive either.

Those are called 'Print', but I also saw a department with rolls called 'Slide'.
    Which besides the names looks pretty similar.
    So what's the difference and how do I know which type I need?

I couldn't imagine it to be expensive to develop.
    I mean, don't B&W Films just come out in B&W when they develop it as usual?
    Please warn me if different processing (than regular Color Film) is needed before I'd drop it off at a local developer.
    If I'd even buy anything to start with of course.
    - Damage Inc. / MicHaeL

Jen
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I would think Slide would be developed as a slide - for a slide projector

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I would think Slide would be developed as a slide - for a slide projector

Yeah, that was also the first thing that came to my mind, slides...
    But that makes sense, the other one is 'Print' and that's what we want.

By the way, I love your avatar!
    - Damage Inc. / MicHaeL

Jen
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks George (Yorkshireman) made it for me from my Funny Face photoshoot I posted in "People"

Yes, go with "print" - you won't want slide film.
    Minolta 35-105mm
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links