Canon AE-1

This is a discussion on Canon AE-1 within the Film Photography Equipment forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; hi everyone! i have just started in the wide field of photography and just yesterday got a canon AE-1 that is in excellent shape. Here ...

Thread: Canon AE-1

Talking

hi everyone! i have just started in the wide field of photography and just yesterday got a canon AE-1 that is in excellent shape. Here is my problem i know nothing about it except what the guy said. I cant get the camera loaded with film. I can get it in there but the film still has slack in it and when i take pictures wont advance it just kind of pops out. i have looked on the internet and it says something about a advance lever and i cant find it!!! Can anyone help me please? any advice would be appreciated. thanks everyone. great site

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Admin

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the camera.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Welcome hope you stay around when you get the camera working

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hi there. I have my AE1 in front of me now and tried loading it for the first time in over 20 years and it all came flooding back, this is the method I always used with both this and my A1.

With the cassette loaded take the narrow end of the film and carefully insert it into the slot in the take-up spool. Now gently operate the wind-on lever and watch the take-up spool turn - there is a tiny peg in the slot - this has to engage with one of the sprocket holes in the film. If this has happened, continue to operate the take-up lever to its full extent. Fire the shutter and then do one more operation of the take up lever whilst watching the film wind on. If you are satisfied all is ok close the back and wind on/fire the shutter until the frame counter reads one. If, at any point in this procedure, the film doesn't wind on, start again.

After putting hundreds of films through these cameras I know from experience that rushing the load procedure is a receipe for disaster - because us old-timers know we don't all keep and eye on the rewind lever to ensure the film is winding on! Happy shooting
    Keith

hi. thanks everyone i think i have finally gotten it. thanks for your help its appreciated and i look forward to asking more questions in the future.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links