Question about checking image sharpness on Nikon D850

This is a discussion on Question about checking image sharpness on Nikon D850 within the Exposure (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture) forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I am transitioning to a Nikon D850 from a D610 and I am wondering what the best method for checking image sharpness is after taking ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By William Arthur Photography

Thread: Question about checking image sharpness on Nikon D850

Equipment
    Nikon D610, D850
    PHOTO EDITING OK

Question about checking image sharpness on Nikon D850

I am transitioning to a Nikon D850 from a D610 and I am wondering what the best method for checking image sharpness is after taking a shot. During image "playback" in camera, I'm able to zoom in seven times. How far should I zoom in to check for sharpness with such a high mp sensor?

Let's say you want to see which photo is sharper out of the 3 or however many images you have. of course if your doing a landscape you may have a few here and there that grab focus from different spots(depending on how you have your focus set up). The D850 makes it super easy to compare photos and make sure your dialed in. All you have to do is zoom into the area that you want to be the sharpest. Then on the bottom of the lcd there are a back and forward button. If you hit those it will keep your zoom level and scroll through the photos. So if you want to see which photo has the sharpest eye photo you can zoom in on the eye and simply scroll through each photo on that same pixel point over and over. No keep in mind that when you do zoom you will hit a point when the lcd starts to pixelate a little and you may get discouraged but I have found that this is just the limitations of the lcd playback and the actual photo doesn't pixelate when you view it in lightroom or photoshop.

Equipment
    Nikon D610, D850
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks! I assume that viewing images in the D850 at 100% zoom is optimal?

I still zoom in. The screen is really easy to read and it performs well but when you shrink down a 27.5" x 18" photo at 300 dpi to a 3" or so screen you need to zoom in to tell for sure that you have perfect focus.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links