Exposure question in low-light setting

This is a discussion on Exposure question in low-light setting within the Exposure (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture) forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hello, I am seeking help on a exposure question. I took stills at the last reception gallery event last weekend, unfortunately though I had a ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John B.

Thread: Exposure question in low-light setting

PHOTO EDITING OK

Exposure question in low-light setting

Hello,

I am seeking help on a exposure question. I took stills at the last reception gallery event last weekend, unfortunately though I had a very slow lens available to me that evening and so some of the images came out slightly dark.

My question is, what am I ought to do in order to expose image properly, meaning expose for the subject and not the background? Now if I had a f1.4 lens, would that fix the problem?

If I increase the exposure it brings up the highlights and not the shadows.

Also, would a tripod be a necessary item to have for this kind of shoot?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you,

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images   

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    A faster lens wouldn't have made much difference. Where the two people are silhouetted, that's where you'd need flash. Experiment with flash. You could bounce if off the ceiling, or set the flash to slow. You set that in the camera. The slow flash should give good lighting to both the subject and the background. Check out this link:

Slow Sync Flash
    bert likes this.

bert
    People move. In some photos, they are blurry because the shutter speed wasn't high enough. However, that is often deliberate and/or inevitable,

depending on circumstance and/or intent. Tripods are useful for long exposures, but that means very blurry people...

Use flash as appropriate and/or use a higher ISO.

You want an f1 for the kind of shooting that you have exampled. (Unless you're using flash, of course, then pretty much anything'll

do, provided that the flash is powerful enough.)

And maybe a higher ISO.

Also, B&W gives no colour anomalies when pushed, so, although you're (presumably) not shooting on film, you

could get away with pushing underexposed shots if you did Photoshopped 'em into B&W.

(Unless your camera is useless at low lighting and throws up lots of fringing, blotchy crap.)

There are a lot of interesting presets in the <Black & White> section of Photoshop's <Image/Adjustments>,

different preset ranges of detail and contrast, so check them out.

Anyway...back to ISOs, I used to shoot Agfachrome 1000 ASA

Well, ok, it certainly wasn't the sharpest, but it was nice to be able to shoot in low lighting

and still get decent results.

Experiment, see how low a shutter speed that you can get away with - sometimes people are

relatively still for short periods of time. Time it right, and you can maybe get away with a 1/20s,

it depends on how shaky your hands are, and how well the camera is balanced.

(Weight is not the prime consideration provided you don't have to hold the camera in a given position for a

long time. If that is a problem, then use a tripod.)

Keep at it, and always give it your best shot, awitness
    Last edited by bert; 10-24-2012 at 07:01 PM.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    People move. In some photos, they are blurry because the shutter speed wasn't high enough.
    Some people are so ugly it's better if they are blurred!

bert
    Yes, and if they're strangers, you have to blur their faces anyway in case they sue ya !!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links