Taking pictures of stars?

This is a discussion on Taking pictures of stars? within the Exposure (ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture) forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Originally Posted by smckeag81 There should be a  on your focus ring. Hmm I'm not seeing one... There are no numbers or anything on ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by smckeag81 View Post
    There should be a  on your focus ring.
    Hmm I'm not seeing one... There are no numbers or anything on the focus ring. The zoom knob has stuff but thats all :\
    Rocking a Canon EOS Rebel XS with a 55 and 300 mm lens.
    Also I have an 8MP phone camera, not much but its good when you have nothing else.

Check out my photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jawcl

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hmmm..I'm not sure..Mine has one.

Quote Originally Posted by smckeag81 View Post
    Hmmm..I'm not sure..Mine has one.
    I think its just my lens and camera aren't that professional... Oh well
    Also I have an 8MP phone camera, not much but its good when you have nothing else.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Don't really need it just focus on something far away and see where that is on the lens. I would like to normally it's about a 1/4 in from the farthest you can manual focus counter clockwise holding the camera to your face.
    So you could during the day focus on something far away(100ft or so) with the lens and make an alignment mark(white paint) across the focus ring and on to the barrel....really that's what the hyperfocal numbers are anyway just alignment marks.
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

Quote Originally Posted by rockhead View Post
    Don't really need it just focus on something far away and see where that is on the lens. I would like to normally it's about a 1/4 in from the farthest you can manual focus counter clockwise holding the camera to your face.
    So you could during the day focus on something far away(100ft or so) with the lens and make an alignment mark(white paint) across the focus ring and on to the barrel....really that's what the hyperfocal numbers are anyway just alignment marks.
    Okay I'll try that thanks.

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Actually the focus on that didn't look bad. Atmospheric "seeing conditions" will distort stars to the point that they can't *really* be perfectly focused (and this varies based on the weather (things like humidity & turbulence in the atmosphere). The blurriest thing in your photo is the Great Nebula in Orion -- but that's because it's not a star... it's a nebula.
    Tim Campbell

R0B
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by TCampbell View Post
    Actually the focus on that didn't look bad. Atmospheric "seeing conditions" will distort stars to the point that they can't *really* be perfectly focused
    Not unless you take a nice trip up into space lol

I personally have never tried star trails, mostly because I'd get so bored so easily :P
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

Equipment
    Canon 6D Canon 35 f2 IS Canon 100 f2.8 Macro Canon 24-105 f4 IS Canon 70-200 f 2.8 L IS II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice picture of Orion!
    __________________________________________________ ____

Foto Nunta Brasov | Fotograf Nunta | Foto video nunta

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links