Critique wanted - waterfront engagement shot

This is a discussion on Critique wanted - waterfront engagement shot within the Event Photography forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; This was taken this evening on the shore of Lake Ontario just before sunset. What do you think? Anything you would have done differently to ...

This was taken this evening on the shore of Lake Ontario just before sunset. What do you think? Anything you would have done differently to improve it?

Thanks for your feedback.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi Debs! Welcome to the forum. I am by no means an expert but here is my opinion for what it is worth. I think you tried to do too much with this photo. Your subject is the couple and they get lost in the reflections and the building and the sunset. You are also overexposed on the left side of the picture. Here is a quick edit of how I might try to crop this photo. I also tried to fix the overexposed area but that is really difficult with a copy of a copy of a copy!

My advice to you when taking photos of people is simplify!!! The more you see of the people the better your shot will be!

This is just one example, I am sure others will have more ideas for you as well! Keep on shooting!
    Elaine

www.elaineobrienphotography.com

My Favorite number of the alphabet is Purple!!!

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Well exposed and focused but as Elaine said it is a little busy - can see why you chose it with the reflections in botht the water and the building adding so much to the shot, the railings and fences however do detract from the subject.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I might have tried framing them on the right side of the picture with only a bit of the water visible beneath them, providing that the railing etc continued on far enough to provide good lines through the whole picture. The reflection in the water is cool, but keeping it (in my opinion) screws up the framing.

Also, if his head were far enough from hers to be defined (like, there was a little bit of space visible between, though not too much) that might help keep him from blending with her shoulder- I like the pose, it's just that the constraints of lighting/distance/skin colour mean you can't afford the shadows it causes. Keeping his head tilted slightly towards her might help keep the feeling of closeness.

Those are just thoughts, though, of course, no guarantees they'd improve it. And it's so much easier to say it than to see it at the time!

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    What everyone has said is pretty spot on. The focus should be the people, using the reflection off of the water really doesn't help this shot since there is a ripple in the water. I would have had some head separation as well and probably moved to the left some to get the reflection off of the building only and used a closer in shot.
    Steve J

Network Engineer,
    Web Master and
    Photographer

Follow me @sjj57 on Twitter and on Facebook and LinkedIn

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I agree with everyone else.
    I like the area and the reflections.
    But with this photo, you're trying to focus on the people as the main subject.
    And with so many other things going on, it's hard to have that focus.

Here's another take on a way you could of composed your shot:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    - - - - - - - Nikon D200 | SB-600 - - - - - - -
    - - - - - Nikkor 28-85mm | 50mm 1.8 - - - - -
    -- My deviantART
    -- My Photography Facebook

Thanks everyone for your feedback. This was only my second shoot, so I am definitely still learning, and I appreciate all the suggestions. Will keep them in mind for my next shoot tomorrow.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    It is true that there is a lot going on in the photo. However, many times my clients want photos like this from a distance. Sometimes you have to take photos for the client, not for yourself (or for those in this forum). Which means you need to take photos that they are going to want. You'd be surprised how often photos you dislike, your client loves. However, what I would do is take one like you did, and another zoomed in closer. That way you cover all bases.

As far as this photo, I feel it looks a little underexposed, but probably could be fixed. Overall composition I like, whether others do or do not.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links