First DSLR - Buy used?

This is a discussion on First DSLR - Buy used? within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; Greetings! I'm into photography for a few years now. I still own my very first camera. A Fuji X10 and I love it. It just ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

First DSLR - Buy used?

Greetings!

I'm into photography for a few years now. I still own my very first camera. A Fuji X10 and I love it. It just takes great pictures and served me really well over all these years.

Technically it as quite outdated. So I want to take a plunge and jump into real DSLR photography and get some decent equipment. I was thinking a about a Fuji as well because they are very easy to operate and I'm used to it. But unfortunately they only offer mirrorless digital cameras.
    So I did some research and figured out a Canon EOS 80d or a Nikon 7200D would be a good start. Both are, in my opinion, high quality mid-range DSLRs and suitable for my needs.
    Right now I don't know which one I should buy. Both are pretty decent pieces of equipment. So any advice on that? Are there any strong or weak points? I mainly shoot nature.

I'm still young and so I'm on a budget. That's why I was thinking about buying a used camera. I did some research and found some classified adds like http://www.cheap.forsale/dslr-camera and found some cheap ones for sale. Or maybe I can buy an older version like the EOS 70D or the 7100D. Does that make much of a difference?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ahsley.
    Last edited by Ashley22; 01-26-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Equipment
    Canon 7D ll w/400 5.6 & Sony a6000 w/24 1.8
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Take a look at B&H used cameras. Quite a selection and some very cheap prices.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/S...8/N/4294182649

Like yourself my first digital camera was a Fuji. Then I was given a Nikon with 2 lenses. It was because of those lenses I stuck with Nikon and bought a D7000 (the grandfather of the 7200). So it seems we are on similar paths. My only recommendation is to consider the Canon because it can be hacked adding many neat features through a free program called Magic Lantern. Whatever system you do get will determine what you will be staying with in the future because lenses are forever. Change the manufacturer and you have to replace the lenses. Nikon is good, Canon is good. Just stay away from Sony.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Like yourself my first digital camera was a Fuji. Then I was given a Nikon with 2 lenses. It was because of those lenses I stuck with Nikon and bought a D7000 (the grandfather of the 7200). So it seems we are on similar paths.
    Nice! Which one you got?

How about the handling in comparison to the Fuji? That would be interesting to know. Was it difficult to switch?

My only recommendation is to consider the Canon because it can be hacked adding many neat features through a free program called Magic Lantern. Whatever system you do get will determine what you will be staying with in the future because lenses are forever. Change the manufacturer and you have to replace the lenses. Nikon is good, Canon is good. Just stay away from Sony.
    I'm not a high-tech-geek. So what is the actual benefit of “hacking” the camera? What kind of features are you talking about?

I know my current decision is very important. But it's not an easy one between Nikon and Canon. Both are really decent cameras. Are there any main differences, apart from the “hacking”?

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Still View Post
    Take a look at B&H used cameras. Quite a selection and some very cheap prices.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/S...8/N/4294182649
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Here is a link for Magic Lantern features. Magic Lantern | Features

My Fuji is a S700 which I still have. Not worth throwing away. Your choice between Nikon or Canon is not a hard choice at all because it doesnt matter. If, after reading the features of Magic Lantern, you decide they arent for you then its even split between Canon and Nikon. Both offer the same features so its just the glass you have to buy. As for learning another camera well read the manual from cover to cover, literally. Examine your camera as you go through the manual. Then just shoot. It will take no time at all to learn the features you need for your photos. Advice is to shoot manual. If you start off with the auto features you will never use manual and it will be difficult to get used to it. Auto is lazy persons way of shooting. Understand the relationship of ISO, shutter speed and aperture and manual shooting will just come natural. Good luck. By the way, like you, I dont like to learn a new camera so I bought 2 D7000s. The second after using the other for a few years. When one goes the other will just take over.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Here is a link for Magic Lantern features. Magic Lantern | Features
    As far as I can see neither the D70 nor D80 are currently supported. But the website says that the D70 is in progress.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    After some more investigation, I'll go for the Nikon. Thanks for the advice.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links