Nikon d800?

This is a discussion on Nikon d800? within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; I currently have a Nikon D90, I have been using is for 5 years, have taken a few classes and I haven't shot in auto ...

Thread: Nikon d800?

Nikon d800?

I currently have a Nikon D90, I have been using is for 5 years, have taken a few classes and I haven't shot in auto for many years. I have been thinking of upgrading to a full frame camera. I mainly shoot my family and friends pictures and Allstar cheerleading competitions for family. The things that are important to me is a camera that can handle low lighting and the movement of a cheer competition and still produce clear images. Upon first glance I wanted the D800 and the price was about what I am able to spend, but upon watching videos and reading reviews I am confused. Several reviews mention it's slow speed. I normally don't shoot using the picture burst but rather know which moments of the cheer routine I want. Has anyone ever used the D800 for something comparable and had this issue, or is there a model that you would recommend instead of the D800.

Equipment
    Nikon D7100 & Nikon D610
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I would buy the D610 and get some great glass to go with it. I have the 14-24 mm f/2.8 and the 70-200 VR II f/2.8 and I'm loving the quality of pictures I get. The D800 is expensive and finicky. I think it needs more development.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The D800 is Nikon's budget studio camera. It's not meant for high-speed work, but rather for use in-studio, under controlled conditions. If you're prepared to drop D800 dollars, then buy a used D3s; full-on pro body, excellent low-light performance, and a host of other really cool features.
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

Thank you for your suggestions, I have been continuing to do more research and I think both of your options make more sense. Thank you for suggesting used equipment, I had not even thought of considering it. I first wanted the 610 but was unsure if the 800 was better, but may opt for the d3 instead. I looked at used and the d4 is actually a little cheaper so I will consider all 3, but I want to be sure of my decision before I buy

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links