Should Sony NEX-7 be my dream camera?

This is a discussion on Should Sony NEX-7 be my dream camera? within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; My favorite camera of all time was the Canon Canonet GIII QL-19, I always wished, of course, that it had interchangeable lenses, but it handled ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Should Sony NEX-7 be my dream camera?

My favorite camera of all time was the Canon Canonet GIII QL-19, I always wished, of course, that it had interchangeable lenses, but it handled so darn nicely and the lens it had was sharp enough, that it really was a dream machine for me and was actually the last camera I used to shoot film.

All of my Canonets has since seized up, and as such, practiced some camera repair on them. Since you can buy them for well under $100, there is no point in sending them out for repair. They were built like a tank, but unfortunately the Compur leaf shutters had a tendancy, like all Compurs, to fail if not used routinely.

I kept dreaming of pulling apart some early model DSLR and putting the sensor in the Canonet; not because I'd get a useable camera, but rather because it'd be so effin' cool to have a digital canonet. Tht, ofcourse was just a pipe dream. But the idea of a compact digital rangefinder with a large sensor (I don't consider 4/3 a large sensor) for under $2,000 was super intriguing to me.

Naturally the NEX series caught my attention. I am a lens collector, and have a small selection of vintage glass that, aside from screw mount, don't work well with my a350.

Though there were a lot of things I really hated about the NEX. The lack of a hotshoe, which would make my seldom used studio strobes unuseable as I don't use the studio gear enough to justify keeping the DSLR - but nonetheless, it was a huge drawback in my mind since I don't know what I might get into at a later point.

The bigger issue though was the lasck of a EVF. Seriously, wtf, Sony? No EVF, not even as an option?

When Peaking came to the NEX, I was starting to wonder if my studio lighting is woth it. All of my lenses are manual focus, and for some reason these bozo camera designers felt that the humble microprism finder was obsolete, which makes my life miserable (and something I was NOT expecting when I "went digital"). But peaking is ever better, and makes my lamenting over a microprism seem primitive. But still, no EVF, I just couldn't imagine not having an viewfinder, which is weird because I used a waist level finder for so long - most of my cameras had a waist level finder, but for some reason using the screen on a digital camera doesn't settle as well with me.

Now, Sony has announced the NEX-7 will be released someday, which is ok, because I don't have $1400 to spend on the body and a few quality adapters I'd be needing. It's like they took all the stupid out of the NEX series - and so maybe now, it seems I'll get my digital Canonet GIII?

I'm really not seeing a lot from the pre-release specs I'm not liking about it, it looks sexy, too - which may not be a good thing given the neighborhood I live in... but I can't help but admire it. I'm even imagining attaching it to a medium format monorail to do TS: with only 18mm film to flange, why not?!

So I am clearly very enthusiastic. But I've been burnt by my enthusiasm before. Is there something I've blinded myself by - some huge thing about this type of camera that I've over looked, or is the NEX-7 really my "dream camera"?
    Last edited by twinkle_turnip; 10-27-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

R0B
    Equipment
    Sony A77 + grip, Sony A200 + grip, Sony 16-50mm f/2.8, Sony 50mm f/1.8, Sony 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6, tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The NEX-7 is a real beast of a camera, I can guarantee that from what you've said, you will love it
    Also if Im not wrong the NEX-7 has a cold shoe mount, and with that you can buy 10 adapters to allow the use of your studio flashes, score!
    500px.com/robellis
    http://facebook.com/robellisphotography

Sony A77, A200, Grips for both, 16-50 f/2.8, 50mm f/1.8, 18-70 f/3.5-5.6, 70-210 f/4-5.6, 2 flashguns.

NME Under 21's music photographer of the year runner up.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    ^^ yep, it does, and I already have the adapter.

I just can't help but think that there must be SOMETHING i'm missing about this body that I wouldn't like. But i haven't been this excited about a future purchase since I bought my Contax RX - another "beast of a machine".
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links