In a state of confusion over cameras

This is a discussion on In a state of confusion over cameras within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; Hi everybody. I'm new to the forum, so I guess I will be short and sweet. A couple of big holidays are coming up, and ...

View Poll Results: Which Camera?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nikon D7000

4 22.22%
  • Nikon D700

2 11.11%
  • Nikon D300s

3 16.67%
  • Nikon D90

2 11.11%
  • Canon EOS 60D

0 0%
  • Canon EOS 5D (MK I or II)

5 27.78%
  • Canon EOS 50D

3 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    PHOTO EDITING OK

In a state of confusion over cameras

Hi everybody.
    I'm new to the forum, so I guess I will be short and sweet. A couple of big holidays are coming up, and I have been looking forward to kickstarting a great hobby of mine, but I need the equipment for it. But my issue is that I honestly have no clue which camera to go for. The Nikon D7000, D700, D300s, D90... or the Canon EOS 60D, EOS 5D (MK I or II), and the EOS 50D. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Welcome to the forum. You're going to have to give us a little more about what kind of photography you want to do and maybe your budget. Every camera you listed will do a fine job in the right hands. They all have contrasting strengths and weaknesses. I'd take one for landscape work and a different one for wildlife.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    In terms of budget, I really don't want to break the bank. I realize that the 5D is over 2K, and that is okay.

I really enjoy wildlife pictures (family trips to the Galapagos and Africa), as well as landscape photography, and a little action. So something that can handle all of that.

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    The Nikon D700 and the Canon 5D are "full frame" cameras -- meaning the imaging sensor is the size of a 35mm negative frame. All the reset are APS-C "crop-frame" size sensors... meaning the sensor is roughly 50-60% (varying slightly from model to model) than a full-frame camera. They call them 'crop frame' because the image projected by the lens is the same image... but the sensor is smaller so more of the image just spills off the side of the sensor. It's as if you took the image with a full-frame camera and then cropped out all the edges and blew up the center area.

Nikon tags their lenses as either being 'FX' (full-frame) or 'DX' (crop frame). Canon tags their lenses as 'EF' (full frame) or 'EF-S' (crop frame). You can use a full frame lens on either a full frame OR a crop frame body. But a crop-frame lens can only be used on a crop-frame body.

The 5D is due for a refresh fairly soon.... strong rumors are indicating that something is going to get announced by Canon (in the way of an updated DSLR) in either September or October. Some people believe it will be the 5D (mark III) and some think it will be the new 1Ds (mark IV). But if you're _really_ serious about a 5D (full-frame DSLR) then you might want to wait and see what gets announced. I've been planning to buy a 5D for a while now, am ready to do it, but don't want to buy a mark II only to have them announce the mark III just a month or two later. So I'm taking the "wait and see" approach.

In essence, the question you've just asked is "Which among this list of REALLY GOOD cameras that I've prepared would be a good camera for me?" And the answer is... all of them.

People really gush on over the beautiful photos that full-frame cameras provide, but I'll warn you that it's easier to notice any weaknesses in the optical quality of lens when it's used on a full-frame body (meaning if you get a full-frame camera, then you're probably going to want to buy the higher end lenses.)

I bought a crop-frame entry-level body to start, then started saving up for, and collecting very high-end lenses, knowing that I was planning to buy a full-frame body. I now have five different Canon "L" series lenses ("L" series is Canon's premium glass. You see the "L" following the focal ratio... e.g. "EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM" and they always have a red stripe painted around the end of the lens.) That is to say... if you spend a little less on the camera body then you'll have a little more to spend on lenses (although the really really good lenses cost more than the bodies.)

I noticed that while you DID list the Canon 60D and 5D, you did NOT list the Canon 7D. But that's Canon's fast-shooting camera (if you're into action shots). It has dual Digic IV processors, uses CF cards instead of SD/SDHC cards (CF cards have a faster transfer rate), and can shoot at in continuous burst mode at 8 frames per second (pretty impressive for a reflex camera.)

Much of the quality you can expect in the pictures will depend on (a) your own skill level with the camera and (b) which lens(es) you buy. Wildlife photography usually involves the need for "long" lenses because (and "long/fast" lenses... meaning it has a low focal ratio such as a zoom that provides f/2.8) either because you don't want to get so close as to scare some creatures away OR you don't want to get so close that something bigger than you decides to make a meal out of you. But you will also need a lens for taking closer shots... a "walking around" lens (which is usually a zoom that ranges from a slight wide-angle to a slight telephoto range.)
    Tim Campbell

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Wow. Thanks for all of that information.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    the best bet for wildlife and action shooting is the 7D, as Tcampbell mentioned. and with the proper ultra-wide lenses (i.e. a 10-22 or 12-24), it'll do just fine for landscape work as well. i use a full-frame (Canon 5D) for landscape work, and a crop body (40D) with a 100-400 lens for wildlife. if i had to pick just one body, though, much as i love the 5D, i'd probably go with an APS-c body and make up the difference in field of view for landscapes with a UWA lens.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by squirl033 View Post
    ... if i had to pick just one body, though, much as i love the 5D, i'd probably go with an APS-c body and make up the difference in field of view for landscapes with a UWA lens.
    Or by stitching panos.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links