Lenses to pair with a new D7000

This is a discussion on Lenses to pair with a new D7000 within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; I posted a similar question on likely the wrong section, so I'm going to re-post here. I'm looking to spend around $2300 total for a ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I posted a similar question on likely the wrong section, so I'm going to re-post here. I'm looking to spend around $2300 total for a Nikon D7000 and lens(es). I've read so many good opinions about the 50mm/1.8 that I think it's a shame not to get it (at it's price tag). So that's about $1350 for the body+50mm, leaving around $900 for the rest of the glass. I shoot lots of portraits of my family (50mm should be great there), some sports with my kids, some landscapes, and I'm very intrigued by low light shooting (but just haven't had good equipment for that yet).

So for those of you who shoot Nikon, what's your opinion on spending the extra $900? The 55-200 costs around $200, leaving several hundred for a decent wide angle. On the other hand, something like the 70-300 doesn't leave much. What about just getting a couple of primes? Where does the Tokina line fit?

You guys always have good advice. I'm looking for more of it. Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Most of my lenses are Sigma. (I also shoot with a D7000). By default, the lens on my camera is the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. The original non-stabilised version. Excellent kids and sports lens.

Also, about half of my lenses thus far have been purchased used, from what I consider to be reliable sources. It's not unusual to save 30% or more for some very nice glass.

At the wide angle, I have the Tokina 12-24 (again, the older version), which has served me well. If I were going back to that well now, I'd consider the 11-16 that George (Yorkshireman) has.

So many choices. You can make yourself crazy. Good luck!

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I can vouch for the Tokina 11-16mm and its fast at f/2.8, its a fun lens too

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks guys. So I think this is going to be my plan...

Tokina 11-16 (really love wide angle photos and want to get better).
    Nikon 50mm/1.8 (seems like a great value).
    Nikon 55-200 (understanding that this isn't Nikon's best, but will allow me to have a telephoto zoom at a good price, and the reviews look decent).

So according to Amazon, for new lenses, the total would be about $1000 or so for the three, with the Tokina being the most expensive at $659). My lens budget is about $1100.

If I can make room in the budget by buying used, are there upgrades to my above kit that you would recommend?

Grandpa...any websites you recommend for used lenses?

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    My used lenses have com from Adorama, B&H, and Lensrentals.com.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links