Which DSLR is right for me?

This is a discussion on Which DSLR is right for me? within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; I am currently using a Sony Cybershot. Ready to upgrade to a DSLR and become more dedicated to photography. My focus when shooting: Children and ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I am currently using a Sony Cybershot. Ready to upgrade to a DSLR and become more dedicated to photography.

My focus when shooting: Children and families, portrait and casual/active. Nature and travel shots. Action as well, from little league to college football, and motocross. I am sure I will use the camera indoors and outdoors, and at various times of the day.

This will be my first SLR, but I am a quick learner so I am not truly concerned about that. I am very excited about venturing deeper into photography. I would like something that will last me for some time.

Budget: $500 or so. This will be bought as a gift for me, but if I can come up with some extra funds of my own then the budget will expand.

Also lens recommendations based on my shooting focus, are appreciated too. Most I will invest in later, but would still like your input.

Thanks!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Wow...I've been looking at DSLR's also. I haven't really found any that are $500. Entry level cameras start a bit more and may come with a kit lens.

Start by thinking what you are going to shoot, why, how, when...and then start doing some research and comparing costs.

Buying another lens is a pricey proposition too, they can cost as much as the DSLR body alone.
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

PHOTO EDITING OK
    As I was extensively DSLR shopping for myself the last 2 months, I almost went with the Sony for the price.

My budget has been very limited and I had to get the best camera I could get with the money I had to get it with.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921666217687

$500, includes the kit lens.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores...552921666217675

$450, for the next model down, almost identical.

In the end, I went with the Olympus e-620, http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Digital-Stab...7091&sr=8-2 because the camera is better, the lens is better, and new it runs only $550 on Amazon.com (retail price $700). $50 for what appears to be a much better camera was an investment I could live with. But thus far, the Sony is the cheapest I've found.
    I pack two things wherever I go: A gun and a camera. You probably don't want to end up in front of either one.

If you like me, like my facebook!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    $500 is just a base. This could range $200-$300 more possibly. This will be a gift for me purchased by my grandmother, and if there is a solid reason as to why a certain camera will be better but has a higher price then I am sure she will take that into consideration.
    Plus I am going to try to throw in a $200+ of my own. But I guess let's just keep it under $1000.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    From research I have done so far, Nikon or Canon seem to be what I am leaning towards.
    I must note there are some things when reading, I simply do not understand as this is new territory for me.
    Which is why I wanted to gather the opinions of others. So I appreciate all the help!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Everybody has their own brand preferences Then they get equipment that matches - If you get a Nikon body, you're going to buy Nikon lenses and keep rolling with that. So it's probably a good idea to think ahead. While I like Olympus, Nikon and Canon lead in popularity.
    I pack two things wherever I go: A gun and a camera. You probably don't want to end up in front of either one.

If you like me, like my facebook!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Input/reviews on a D3100 or D3000?

I found some package deals with extra lenses and stuff for under $700/$800.

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    You might check the prices on the Canon refurb store. There are a few models close to your budget.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/store..._10051_-1_29252
    Tim Campbell

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Here's an overview of entry level DSLRs at Adorama and B&H, both in NYC. (I buy from Adorama and B&H.)

http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/Buying-...DSLRs-right-now
    http://photography.bhinsights.com/content/...level-dslr.html

Figure whatever you do will cost you roughly $1000 in your first year. This includes the camera, case, memory cards, lens, flash, and any other accessories needed for basic operation. It can easily grow once you start figuring you want this lens or that tripod.

Good luck and enjoy! Hope this helps.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks for the feedback.

After reading more information, more of which I am understanding now (which is a plus all by itself lol).

I think the Nikon D3100 may be my best option.

Found package deals for under $800, that include 2 lenses and camera case. So budget wise that works the best. Not sure any of the other cameras I like are a possibility right now in terms of money.

Has anyone used or is anyone currently using this camera? I would love some personal input on how it may work for photos of children or people in general, action shots, landscapes, including close up shots and shots at night time.

Thanks!

•  
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links