Announcing a Photoforum Community Project

This is a discussion on Announcing a Photoforum Community Project within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; You have probably noticed that one of the most frequently asked questions on the Photoforum is: "Which DSLR should I buy?" Each time we answer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PHOTO EDITING OK
    You have probably noticed that one of the most frequently asked questions on the Photoforum is:

"Which DSLR should I buy?"

Each time we answer the question for members, we re-invent the same wheel -- on a weekly and sometimes daily basis. With your help and good consul, I would like to create a pinned, generic response to this question that consolidates the our best thoughts -- WITHOUT being camera specific.

In this way, anytime a new member ask this question, we will all have a permanent post that we can reference in our reply posts.

So, for the next week, I would like for you to treat this post as coming from one of your closest friends and give me your best advice as to "Which DSLR should I buy?" If you already have made a post in the past that you would like to use in this topic. Fine. Then just "copy and paste" that response in a new post here.

By doing this as a community, you are saving me hours of research that would require going through years of old posts on the subject. And by having everyone reply to this question one more time, we will have your up to the minute thoughts on the subject. When the week is over, I will consolidate your input into a single pinned topic -- "Which DSLR should I buy?" -- that we can all refer new members to. The new topic will be shown as authored by the entire Photoforum Community's in response to "Which DSLR should I buy?"

Eventually, you will be able to direct members with this question to our combined recommendation topic.

This project isn't to stop people from asking for our help, but to give them a well thought out, ready answer to help them get started on their purchase decision making.

Work for you?

Remember, we are not recommending specific cameras.

Thanks for supporting those who have caught the photo bug and are seeking to buy their first DSLR.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING OK
    OK, this post is to send this request for help to the top of the page again since I received NO replies the first time though.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."

Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hub,
    Thanks for starting this topic as it is long over due.

The best advice I can give someone is to put it in your hand. Go down to your local shop and try them all out. There will always be advancement in the models being shopped. Different features that will be more useful than others but honestly if your first impression is "This doesn't feel quite right" that same impression will be felt once you purchase. It will always be there and you'll have to live with your choice. There are always going to be distractions while you shoot your gear should not be one of them!!!!!!.
    More later.
    Jay
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thats kinda my basic advice, I did and found that the of the two choices only one felt good in my hands and had enough diopter adjustment for my eyes. Had I ordered what my heart was telling me without trying I would have bought wrong.

Second bit of advice is r=try and have a feeling for what you want to be taking, this may influence which lens choices you make, where 2 x kit lenses are being supplied to cover say an 18-200mm range, check out if a good one lens option is available for a little more on the price.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Rockhead is right. TRY IT FIRST!! I found that my hands are smaller than my Dad's and that the Canon felt better to me than the Nikon. He feels that my Canon doesn't give him a place to hold on to...so it comes down to personal preference. I know many other female photographers who wouldn't give up their Nikon for anything.

Another piece of advice I would offer is save money on the camera base and spend more on the glass. There is not that much difference between the models of cameras if you are not a super pro. If you are an amatuer looking to get good quality photos and being able to switch from auto settings to manual, then you would be better off with a basic camera body and save your money for lenses. However, don't buy too much too soon, learn to work with what you have and really become comfortable and familiar with your equipment and you may find that you don't need to drop $1000's to get a good shot.

Someone on the Forum has the tag, It's not the camera that takes the picture, its the photographer. I may have that wrong, but that's the idea!
    Elaine

www.elaineobrienphotography.com

My Favorite number of the alphabet is Purple!!!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nice catch on the diopter adjustment and range George. I would have forgotten that critical piece of advice.

Elaine, I agree about making lens quality a first priority. The glass will follow you from camera to camera. And your point of comfort factor (form and weight) being especially important to women is well taken.

Thanks for chiming in.

Hub

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    In addition to checking out the camera in a store, I also suggest that you read some reviews. 2 sites that I recommend are:
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/

And before you buy, you can check out the seller at: http://www.resellerratings.com/
    John B

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    GREAT TOPIC!

First, read some reviews to get a basic idea of what you want - maybe it's three different models.

Second, It's already been said but can not be stressed enough - go to a camera shop and put the models you have been reading about in your hands. Check weight, size, hand grip etc.
    Example - I was considering a Canon when I went to the camera shop. I held one in my hands for about 20 minutes when I realized it was to small for my hand.

Hope this at least gets you started.

Nikon user

Please visit my smugmug site!
    http://chadslaterphotography.smugmug.com/[/url]

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right" - Robert Hunter

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    good idea Hub. if i'd had this when i started i'd have a lot more cash and a lot less junk

1rst
    what do you want to shoot? the kids, famely, landscapes, bugs and flowers? this will better tell the folks at the
    camera shop what you need.

2nd
    how much $$$ do you have to spend? if you shot a 35mm you may have some older lenses you can use
    on the new body. a good used camera my be better for you in that if you find out that you don't like it as much as you thought
    you don't have so much cash in it. but get a name brand!!! it's hard to go rong with a good name in cameras.
    don't be affraid to ask! there are no dumb "Q"s trust me you are in the right place to ask.

3rd
    don't get cought up in the mega pixel thing. 6mp's are planty to start with. 8x10 print's are no prob.
    a good mid priced camera and kit lens with a bag. is a great start!

4th
    look a round the forums and see what folks are shooting and how. and again ask lot's of "Q"s most folks don't
    mind telling you how they got that shot and with what.

5th
    one more time "PUTE YOUR HANDS ON IT!!! IF IT DOSN'T FEEL RIGHT YOU WON'T LIKE IT AND SO YOU
    WON'T SHOOT WITH IT" IF IT DON'T FEEL GOOD! DON'T BUY IT!!!

hope this will help those just starting out....rick

JUST BE NICE THATS ALL.
    Richard Olson
    http://www.photographixms.com
    email photographix08@yahoo.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    We're developing a nice list here that should prove beneficial to any member contemplating a new DSLR purchase.

Anyone else want to contribute? Always open to more suggestions.

Hub

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links