Sigma DSLR cameras

This is a discussion on Sigma DSLR cameras within the Which DSLR should I buy? forums, part of the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories category; Just wondering, anyone here own any Sigma DSLR cameras such as the SD 10, SD14, or the compact-sized DP1?...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Just wondering, anyone here own any Sigma DSLR cameras such as the SD 10, SD14, or the compact-sized DP1?

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Sigma dSLRs are not popular, in fact I've only ever seen one "in the wild". The rather odd (although technically interesting) Foveon imaging sensor and limited lens choice tend to put people off. The DP1 is also a bit of an odd-ball camera, a compact camera with a large sensor and fixed focal length ~28mm f/4 lens hasn't gone down hugely well in that market segment where "times zoom" is an important marketing factor.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The Sigma DSLRs certainly have their own group of followers. I've seen some awesome photos captured by the DP1 and SD14. The image quality produces by the Foveon sensor really does speak for itself. I probably will pick up a SD14/15 later on.

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yup, the Foveon sensor is capable of producing some really nice images and I do wish one of the larger manufacturers would pick up that technology and run with it so it becomes more mass-market.

The main issue with Sigma dSLRs for me would be being locked into the Sigma lens range. I have three Sigma lenses for my Canon cameras and two of them rank amongst my favourite lenses, so I am by no means anti-Sigma, but their range can't meet all of my requirements at the quality I require. Sigma remain the only dSLR "body" manufacturer with no third party lens support at all.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yeah, I know what you mean. It is unfortunate about the lack of 3rd party lens support.

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I guess the other thing that would concern me about going for a Sigma dSLR body is future support / development.

Once you buy into a dSLR system you become to a large extent financially "tied in". It isn't unusual to have 3 to 4 times the value of the camera body tied up in lenses and accessories. I would expect to be able to use my lenses on my next dSLR and the one after that and the one after that... In short I'd expect a lens to last me 10 years (or more) and I'd expect to buy at least 3 iterations of dSLR body in that same time frame as the technology advances. That's pretty much a "sure bet" with Canon, Nikon and the other major manufacturers as I can't see them pulling out of the dSLR market any time soon. I don't have that same confidence with Sigma.

I admire Sigma's desire to be a "complete" camera company selling both bodies and lenses but they don't really sell many bodies and the development costs must be substantial. In model terms they have one dSLR body and one slightly odd compact. It wouldn't surprise me if the cold light of financial reality dawns on them and they decide to concentrate on where they are most profitable (lens manufacture) and drop the camera body side of the business. If that happens then I would find myself in the unwelcome position of having a large lens investment (many thousands of pounds / dollars / euros) that doesn't fit any other cameras and would rapidly become worthless.

Given the risks, there would have to be a hugely significant advantage to "going Sigma" for me to make that decision. Frankly, I don't see them with a huge advantage.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links