Really photography School?

This is a discussion on Really photography School? within the Do-It-Yourself forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I'm a newbie, Iím so newbie that I do get miss up the relationships between the higher the number the smaller the apertureĒ this type ...

I'm a newbie, Iím so newbie that I do get miss up the relationships between the higher the number the smaller the apertureĒ this type of thing. With so much reading, I overwhelm myself, and half of the vocabulary I donít understand, Iím not slow or anything like that but, to add to my life I do work managing rentals, I'm a mother of 1 year old a 4 year old and the oldest is 6 years old. So with sleep depravation things gets harder and harder to comprehend. A photographer I met at my kids school mentioned to me The New York Institute of photography, Ií m really considering enrolling in their course.
    Can anybody share with me their experiences with this school if any? Any friends who did it? Or any other alternatives Iím not aware of it?
    Thank you

Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    First, welcome to the forum and to photography! I know how you feel- it can be overwhelming. Go slow, and work on the basics and you'll be up to speed in no time.

I haven't used them, but this topic pops up every few months... do a search here on the forum for New York Institute of Photography and/or NYIP and you'll get an instant answer to your question in many different message threads.

I researched it myself and determined that, for me (and strictly for me), it was more cost effective to self-teach. But I also have a background in photography going back to the late 1980's (ie, I think f-stops in my sleep).

The NYIP curriculum may change occasionally, but last I looked it covered **everything** in photography, including film and darkroom processing. It's pretty complete- but you may not be interested in learning about film and darkroom, either, so you need to judge for yourself.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some current info.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Regards,
    Marlo

Check out my blog! --- http://marlomontanaro.wordpress.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I don't know if you have or haven't decided to take the NYIP course, but I'm taking it and this is what I can tell you about it.

I do have a B&W photography class from an actual school in my background, so I wasn't a complete newb. However, if you are, NYIP does start from absolutely nothing and build up. They do include film, some parts of that are important so you understand how things work, some parts are only important if you use film. I don't anymore, and I learned all the important stuff about film in another class, so I skip it all.

What I DO like about NYIP is the CD's. It's nice to attend class while I'm driving down the road and be able to rewind things 17 times if need be. Also, they have discussions regarding different topics, and cover both technical aspects as well as opinions on what is realistic based on their own experience. Also, if you call NYIP (which I had to), you really will speak to the same people that are on the CD's.

The books are informative and they are yours to keep. They do have photo examples of what they're talking about, so you aren't lost. They also send gimmicky stuff like a gray card (useful, but - really?), a "press pass" (useless. . . ), etc. It's marketing, it's whatever. That's not what you're paying for. And I know if you've read about NYIP, you have heard about the AWFUL DVD's. They're bad. I'm talking 1982. But they are still relevant for the most part.

I'm only on Unit 2 right now, which is mostly exposure, metering, histograms, and filters, but after this I think I really will get a better understanding of what I'm shooting and what I'm doing wrong. Personally, the first unit covered more than ONE class did. So think of how many REAL classes you would have to take. For someone like me who is unable to take those classes and can't afford a whole lot, this is a convenient, affordable alternative. That being said, stay away from Jerry Rice. He's rude.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm just as much a noob as you are, but like Penguin said, I am more of a hands-on, learn-what-I-want kinda girl. I would more readily sit and take a course on how to work a program (Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.) than photography. Just my own, personal opinion.

I too have gotten a bit confused with aperture and f-stops, but I find that the most I read about it, the more it makes sense to me. I read with my camera next to me, and as I read the explanations, I tweak my camera and take a practice picture, so I can visualize the changes I'm making. I have also taken upon an internship with a local photographer. I sit and watch her do things, and she explains to me the ins and outs, tips, tricks, whys, and what to look for, as she works. This may be something that may work for you.

That said, if you work better in an organized classroom setting, a course may be the right solution for you. I can't speak for the NYIP because I don't have any experience with it, and I don't even live in NY, lol. There are tons of places online that offer challenges and ideas for you to go out there and practice... which is, in my opinion, the most important thing. Practice, practice, practice.
    "Eres el desastre mas bello que ojos humanos han visto."

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hi Mafalda,

If you can, I would get a basic dSLR camera, or a camera that allows you control over Aperture (look for P, A (sometimesAv), S (Sometimes called Tv), M) and have a play.

If you can meet up with like minded people even better.

I wrote this for my wife to help her get started. It may help you. Good luck it's a great hobby. Don;t be afrid to ask questions. Plenty of nice people here to point you in the right direction. Then if you feel if you want to go on a formal course so be it.... just my advice. I myself did this and after around 3 months went on a days course to get the best out your dSLR and then another course on composition..

Hope this helps.
    Graydon

South Lincs UK
    Canon 7D | Sigma 10-20mm | Canon 24-105mm L | Canon 70-300mm L

India Trip | My Flickr Pages | My RedBubble Pages

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I have seen the complete set of course work from NYIP and it was up to date in 1980. The material feels old and stale. Most of it is just the same-old same-old with a minor edit to bring it up to date.

There are two online sources of course work that I would recommend, lynda dot com and KelbyTraining dot com. Both companies offer free trials. at lynda, you can preview one or two sessions of most courses. At kelbytraining you can get a free, unrestricted 24 hour trial. Either trial will give you a sense of what the training courses are like. The price for these online systems is around $30 a month with a big discount if you pay for one year. Both offer dozens and dozens of courses of interest.

Also, check out Bryan Peterson's book, "Understanding Exposure". It's considered to be the best book for learning what all these things are and how to master them, or at least get a better handle on them.

before plopping down the money at NYIP, have a look at lynda.com and kelbytraining.com

BTW: the reason for the dot com is that the owners of this board, in all of their wisdom, inserted paid links to my text and altered the text. This really annoys me.
    Last edited by clupica; 09-02-2011 at 03:32 AM.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

Equipment
    Android Phone
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hi...I'm new here but have always enjoyed photography and I'm glad to have found this forum. I wanted to add to this thread in particular because I learned most of my photography lessons in the field with the most simple equipment possible and just took a ton of pictures.

I started by concentrating solely on composition - what looked interesting in the frame!! That was 30 years ago with a Kodak instamatic. Some of those early pictures still startle me by how cool they turned out.

Did you see the recent interview Brian Williams had with Annie Leibovitz? Just search for Brian Williams+Annie Leibovitz.

I think you'll be shocked by her admission of how many blurry pictures she takes and by the camera she recommends today. Very interesting.

Happy Holidays to you all - Magicman
    Last edited by Magicman; 12-26-2011 at 01:33 PM.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The 3 stages of learning. No understanding, a little understanding, full understanding. Practice, practice, read, read, read. You'll get there.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I just try to chime in by giving a balanced opinion. I think that schools not only are a waste of time, and money, but they also tend to stifle creativity. you have to do a lot of things a certain way. follow the rules. that's why real geniuses always drop out. but also having some teaching background, I know that people have different learning skills. some go grab a book and start doing their thing. ask a question here and there. some cannot even read a book! they need one on one coaching. some need the classroom and the discipline that goes with it. then there's the issue of time and resource allocation. if you have to pay for a school and not be able to attend classes... some people are so tired after they get off their 3rd job that they come to class just to doze off. so if you really think that school is the right thing for you, find a good one and go!

Equipment
    Nikon d810 & Sony A7rII
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    you don't need schooling to be a photographer. many top togs come from other walks of life. join FB groups and learn. pick a niche and pursue little by little

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links