newbie - studio lighting question

This is a discussion on newbie - studio lighting question within the Do-It-Yourself forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Hi everyone! I'm in the market for studio lighting / reflectors / backdrops etc. I currently have a black and a white backdrop but no ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bynx

Thread: newbie - studio lighting question

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi everyone!

I'm in the market for studio lighting / reflectors / backdrops etc. I currently have a black and a white backdrop but no lighting or reflectors. Could you point me in the right direction for what lighting and reflectors I should get? I did a quick search at a local camera shop here (Ritz, if any of you are familiar) and I'm not sure if the 215+/- price is a "good" price or a rip off. That 215 was for a Photogenic 24x32" softbox. Also, are the umbrella's worth it or unnecessary? If necessary, should I stick with white? silver? etc. Lastly, what do you suggest for backdrops? I've heard some mention the use of fabric from an arts and crafts store because it's cheap. Is this a recommended idea or should I get some actual "photography" backdrops off amazon or some other site? I would like to get a grey and a multi-colored brown one as I think those would serve my purposes better. I'm mainly going to be setting up my basement studio to do maternity and newborn shots and the occasional holiday picture of my daughter.

Thanks for your info!
    Nikon Shooting, Lightroom Using Photography Chick.

Equipment
    Nikon d810 & Sony A7rII
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    beauty dish. try wish.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by kimsmithphoto View Post
    beauty dish. try wish.com
    What you are actually meaning by this?

Quote Originally Posted by jannatul18 View Post
    What you are actually meaning by this?
    Id say one beer too many.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    look at Adorama's "flashpoint" equipment for entry level budget gear.
    I use yongnuo and Nikon speedlights with 43" softbox umbrellas most of the time.
    I also use muslin backdrops i picked up locally.
    umbrellas -vs- softbox's or brollys or beauty dish's is mostly just personal preference, but can also depend on how you want to deliver the light.
    they all basically work the same way.
    used properly, there isnt necessarily a huge difference between the different diffusers, size being equal.

for instance.
    this was shot with two 36" shoot-through umbrellas and nikon sb700's.
    P2150029 by pixmedic, on Flickr

this was shot with the same flashes, but with two 43" softbox umbrellas.
    DSC_1248 by pixmedic, on Flickr

you can get similar results using different equipment. light is light, and its just a matter of proper placement and diffuseness.
    nothing wrong with using umbrellas (shoot through or reflective) or softboxes, or brollys, or anything else really...as long as you get the results you want.

Pixmedic, I have a few Yongnuo flashes as well as a few sets of remote triggers. They make great stuff at really inexpensive prices and yet no one ever reviews them. I feel like its some kind of secret society who use them. As for your shots I have never used umbrellas or big boxes. With the Yongnuo you can control intensity and placement to give you whatever you can imagine. Nice clear shots.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Pixmedic, I have a few Yongnuo flashes as well as a few sets of remote triggers. They make great stuff at really inexpensive prices and yet no one ever reviews them. I feel like its some kind of secret society who use them. As for your shots I have never used umbrellas or big boxes. With the Yongnuo you can control intensity and placement to give you whatever you can imagine. Nice clear shots.
    I think part of that is because some people give yongnuo a lot of crap because its a chinese company.
    I got on board with yongnuo pretty early on, and have been a fan since.
    too many people play the "made in china" card when trying to dissuade people from buying yongnuo, but before I picked up a few yongnuo flashes, I had a LOT of nikon flashes over the years.
    sb24, sb28, sb800, sb600, sb700....
    I find my YN568EX flashes to be pretty comparable to my sb700. the yongnuo radio triggers have worked very well for me as well.
    not that I would try to dissuade someone from buying a Nikon or Canon flash, but for someone on a budget, or for someone looking for extra off camera flashes, I always recommend yongnuo flashes and triggers.

"Someone on a budget"......does that mean the same as someone who doesnt want to throw extra money at Nikon? Id prefer to keep everything Nikon but not at their prices. The only thing I have now thats Nikon are two D7000 bodies and a $15 remote and a reverse ring. I would like to get a second battery grip but Im not going to give any more money to Nikon when third parties are able to sell for less. For anything that cost serious money, Nikon just isnt serious. Sigma makes my lenses and Yongnuo makes everything else.
    pixmedic likes this.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links