Shoot jewelry like the pro's

This is a discussion on Shoot jewelry like the pro's within the Do-It-Yourself forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Here is a neat little DIY project that will take your table top product shooting to a whole new level for under $15 Begin with ...

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Here is a neat little DIY project that will take your table top product shooting to a whole new level for under $15

Begin with a 6 foot piece of half inch pvc pipe. Cut into 14 inch pieces (requires 70 inches total).

Buy 4 half inch pvc elbows or T joints (your choice). I use elbows now but used a combination as noted in the images.

Buy a 12x12 inch mirror. (a six pack is available at lowes or home depot for $12)

Buy a 2x3 foot piece of black felt (other colors work also) I got mine at Michaels for $2.

Assemble and begin shooting jewelry and other items like the pro's...

Assembly:

What the final images look like:

Works with white backgrounds also:

Take note to keep plenty of glass cleaner on hand. Fingerprints and dust will show up every time you add or remove an item. While this process works best for jewelry, it can be used for hundreds of other small products.

If you want less reflection (only works for white backgrounds) buy a 12x12 inch piece of smooth white tile board (used instead of mirror). Use white background instead of black felt. It is the kind of board used in showers. Again, visit one of the box hardware stores and you can pick this up for a few bucks. It doesn't scratch very easily and wipes clean.

Also: if you want great high key portrait or large product shots, grab a 4x8 foot piece of this tile board. So amazing!
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Here is what a shot on white tile board looks like:

Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks, Steve. Looks like it could be easily modified to add a sweep as well.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thank you, Steve!
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Weapons: A 1977 Praktica LTL3
    Kodak ZD710
    Nikon D-40 w/Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 55-200mm, & remote
    Kenko 420-800mm + 2X Teleconverter
    Digital Concepts Close Up Lens Set, Macro Ring Set.

Life Through A Lens, Is A Life Time Full Of Memories......

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Let's see, tomorrow is saturday. I think a trip to the DIY store might be in order.

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

Wow great hint... my mom is starting her own custom jewelry line and wants me to do the product photography. I'm glad I ran across this thread... thanks so much for the tips!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links