The Pringles Can Lens?

This is a discussion on The Pringles Can Lens? within the Do-It-Yourself forums, part of the Photography Tips category; So I finished a can of Pringles today and was messing around with the lid. I found out that the plastic lid works perfectly as ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Digit9

Thread: The Pringles Can Lens?

So I finished a can of Pringles today and was messing around with the lid. I found out that the plastic lid works perfectly as a lens cover for my 200mm zoom lens. So I decided to look around the internet for some other mods using Pringles products and found this one: http://photocritic.org/macro-photography-on-a-budget/

Basically, you use a Pringles can to get some insane macro shots with a 50mm lens. Looked like a fun little project and I might have to try it out myself. Has anyone ever done this before? Any other little DIY mods like this?
    kimsmithphoto likes this.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Neat and fun too

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Get OUT and SHOOT Y'ALL...........Sitting at the 'puter don't make better photos!!!!!!

Some of my crappy photography on FLICKR

THANKS and to think i was going to buy the 60mm nikkor you saved me alot of money!

I've also been experimenting with styrofoam and plastic cups as well. When I get around to developing my photos I will definitely post my results.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    You know, this seems like a lot of trouble. Why not use something more substantial like PVC pipe? While you won't have the added benefit of tasty chips, it won't cost an awful lot more and you'll end up with something more sturdy...

I can definitely understand the DIY appeal here, but isn't this nothing more than an extension tube and reversal ring? I think an enlarging lens would work better, and would prob be cheaper, too.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Definitely gonna try the Pringles effect!
    DSM
    Never walk away from an experience without having learnt a lesson

Quote Originally Posted by twinkle_turnip View Post
    You know, this seems like a lot of trouble. Why not use something more substantial like PVC pipe? While you won't have the added benefit of tasty chips, it won't cost an awful lot more and you'll end up with something more sturdy...

I can definitely understand the DIY appeal here, but isn't this nothing more than an extension tube and reversal ring? I think an enlarging lens would work better, and would prob be cheaper, too.
    Like I said, I did this with just a foam cup with tape and got the same results. It's not about using a pringles can, it's about using stuff around the house to achieve the same effect.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Search for DIY - Reverse Lens technique... it's also called Poor Man's Macro
    Stock Photographer working with 2K Stock Photo. http://www.2kstockphoto.info/

"There are only two kinds of freedom in the world; the freedom of the rich and powerful, and the freedom of the artist and the monk who renounces possessions" (Anais Nin)

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links