First Time Wedding- RAW?

This is a discussion on First Time Wedding- RAW? within the Do's and Dont's forums, part of the Photography Tips category; I'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow. Every website says to shoot in RAW, but I've never shot or edited in RAW. Is it simple enough ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm shooting my first wedding tomorrow. Every website says to shoot in RAW, but I've never shot or edited in RAW. Is it simple enough to figure out that I should take the leap and go for it? Or should I play it safe and shoot in JPG? Any suggestions??

Sincerely,
    Makenzi Ryanne Photography

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    i really hate to say this but the night before your first wedding isn't the time to be researching. if you wanted to shoot raw then you should have done some test shoots at least a week ago and found out if you could even process the files.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Shoot RAW... figure out processing later.

Ooops... too late. My bad. So how did it go?

Super Moderator
    Equipment
    Canon 5D mk II, EF 14mm f/2.8L II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 300mm f/2.8L IS, Speelite 430EX II, 5380EX II
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Uggg

Please see: http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2010.07.25...dding-acronymss

And this article still doesn't get the heart of wedding photography because for as much of the business that IS about the camera... there's even more to know that ISN'T about the camera. There are a ton of shots you need to know and memorize, how to handle the people so you get the shots they expect you to get without annoying your clients, modeling technique (because your subjects aren't professional models but they expect the output to look like Bride's Magazine spreads), the list goes on.
    Tim Campbell

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyflam View Post
    Shoot RAW... figure out processing later.

Ooops... too late. My bad. So how did it go?
    not such a good idea. what happens when you find out your software isn't capable of handling raw files? or when you spend hours trying to figure out how the software works and still haven't touched the wedding photos - saw this happen in another forum once, someone couldn't figure their way out of the library in lightroom. what workflow do you use on raw files, would you know the answer to that on your first time? these are all issues that can be solved pretty easily, but not when you're under a deadline. i would never use something i didn't know how to use on a paid shoot. i'll admit to panicking the first time i uploaded raw files to my computer (hacked canon 300d) and couldn't see the thumbnails, i thought something was wrong. i remember one poster on this forum who was shooting raw for an entire year and had no idea what those .nef files were.

Equipment
    Canon EF, 20D
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Shoot JPEG. RAW doesn't work with married couples.

Happy shoots,
    XiuXiu
    Xiu Xiu Chong

Canon 20D, EF Lens, Fisheye, Canon Flash, 24-70mm

I would definitely always recommend shooting raw with weddings, it gives you much more lattitute for correction if you incorrectly expose your photos.

www.godisinthedetail.co.uk

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Holy acronyms, batman! that lensrental page on weddings is insane.

I always wonder how folks shoot weddings with very little knowledge of equipment.

I have a magical vision of true wedding photographers....i assume they can all be blind folded and still grab the correct lens out of the bag, get it mounted and adjust all camera settings in under 3 seconds to get the shot!
    Nikon D300s | Nikon D700
    Nikon TC-14E II | Nikon TC-20E III
    Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 | Nikon 70-200, f/2.8 VRII
    Sigma 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 85mm f/1.4
    Nikon 500mm f/4 AF-S II

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links