Is there a priorities list?

This is a discussion on Is there a priorities list? within the Do's and Dont's forums, part of the Photography Tips category; There are seemingly dozens of things to consider (both technically and style wise) when taking a photo. Is there a suggested priorities list? '1. Lighting, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

There are seemingly dozens of things to consider (both technically and style wise) when taking a photo.
    Is there a suggested priorities list?
    '1. Lighting, 2. Composition, 3. Background.' or '1. Composition, 2. Color, 3. Depth of field.'
    Something like that?

I know that after much experience the basic techniques will become ingrained and automatic, but for a beginning photographer the 'checklist' can sometimes seem overwhelming, and there is also a danger of becoming habituated to considering the 'wrong' thing first.

Also, in many situations there is not enough time to run through the whole 32(?) item checklist.
    Which items should take priority?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panasonic LZ5, and now Panasonic FZ50.
    I have been doing mostly hot rod car shows but recently got the nature bug (bad pun intended).

Proud Nikon Shooter
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    In a perfect world, I would go like this:

1. Lighting
    2. Composition
    3. Background

In the real world, I end up like this:

1. Composition
    2. Depth of field

You can often trick the camera into making up for light and backgrounds. The key is always get your composition right.
    Steve

Never complain, Never explain. Learn it, live it

Our blog
    Our website
    My gear list

PHOTO EDITING OK

Talking

In a perfect world, I would go like this:

1. Lighting
    2. Composition
    3. Background

In the real world, I end up like this:

1. Composition
    2. Depth of field

You can often trick the camera into making up for light and backgrounds. The key is always get your composition right.
    Howdy......
    Thats how it works in my world......

Vern...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    one thing i always forget before taking the shot...

- check my camera settings...

:P
    (@@)/\/\/\/\/
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    one thing i always forget before taking the shot...

- check my camera settings...

:P
    Especially ISO! :P

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Especially ISO! :P
    [/quote]

and the VR mode... and the M/A-A too
    (@@)/\/\/\/\/
    Nikon D90
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi knestle,

For me everything ties for first place. But the single overriding factor in taking any picture is Exposure. I usually have a general idea of what my composition will be -- although I haven't done final framing an composition yet.

I first check to determine my exposure options. Those options will ultimately determine if the composition I envision is even possible under the circumstances. For example, I want to stop action at a night time high school sporting event using only available light or I don't have a tripod but need extreme depth of field to capture the detail and depth I envision in my final photograph. Can I find an exposure that provides the tonal range I must have in my final picture? Do the circumstances, from an exposure standpoint, allow me to take this picture? If not, is there something I can do to make it possible? So, exposure becomes my first concern. Exposure is everything.

Deciding that existing conditions and my equipment limitations will not allow me to take the picture I envision is frequently the reality and correct decision. At least I know, in advance, that if I take the picture anyway, it will be something less than I originally wanted.

After I know the limits of exposure for any particular scene or what I must do to correct for available lighting, I'm free to make all the other decisions -- final composition, depth of field selection, shutter speed determination, etc.

We all approach a shot with different priorities. This is the way my thinking typically goes.

Good luck.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

I think that if you were to try and prioritize when taking a shot then you would have failed at taking the shot because your focus would be on making sure you have every step on taking a good shot, instead of taking the shot.

1. Take lots of pictures of subject with varying degree.
    2. make it difficult to take your shots, you learn from your mistakes.
    3. Delete delete delete.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    The only Checklist I go through at this point is prior to going out to shoot. I use the WIFE Method.
    W - White Balance (usually on Auto anyways)
    I - ISO
    F - F Stop
    E - Exposure Compenstation (The Biggest thing I usually screw up with)

Best thing for me to check all of this is to take some test shots and review it before getting serious with shots.
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

Fen

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Everybody has missed the has missed the most important priority...

Enjoy yourself
    Fen .......... My Galleries - My Blog - My Flickr

"I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked." - David Bailey

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links