Camera Sensor Cleaning

This is a discussion on Camera Sensor Cleaning within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Bob thats what this forum is about sharing / helping great when it works...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Camera Sensor Cleaning

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Bob thats what this forum is about sharing / helping great when it works

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Patrick great one - nice to hear a happy ending - one thing I do know is don't ever use the compressed air cans.

Whats weird about that is that I have a friend that has a Konica Minolta DSLR and they used to suggest to use those.... Ive seen him do it a few times, interesting, but I wouldnt take such a risk....

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Joey,

Thanks mate! You saved my life!!

I followed your advice and when I held the camera upside down in BULB mode and injected the air I saw something small and kinda white drop out onto the table but was so small I couldnt see it on the white table cloth.

Re-Cleaned all my lenses and taken some test shots. All back to superb crisp and clear normal.

I cant thank you enough.

Patrick

Glad it worked! Just pass it along the info to any one you ever know that need help

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Looks like I have caught the dreaded spot on my sensor problem.
    I used the blower part of the blower brush to blow some air around in the camera body w/o the lens on and the problem is still there.

I read this whole thread but I'm not sure I totally understand what I'm doing and I'm afraid to screw something up.

I'll have to try this bulb mode technique...but I'm fearful...
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Looks like I have caught the dreaded spot on my sensor problem.
    I used the blower part of the blower brush to blow some air around in the camera body w/o the lens on and the problem is still there.

I read this whole thread but I'm not sure I totally understand what I'm doing and I'm afraid to screw something up.

I'll have to try this bulb mode technique...but I'm fearful...

The only way you will be able to blow it off is if you use bulb, to pop up the mirror and open the shutter so that the little blower thing will be able to blow the piece of dust off the sensor.

I cleaned my friends Nikon D50 for her one time, to make it easier I set the camera up on a tripod with the camera generally facing down. I had my girlfriend hold the shutter button down while I cleaned it, that way I didnt accidently "slip."

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks Joey, I'm going to have to attempt this.... Even though I'm wary
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    ive got a canon. thanks for the info!!! i get a few blotches in the photos i take with slow shutter speeds. this technique sounds pretty "foolproof" as you say. i think ill try it... thanks again!!!

ah, the perennial terror over cleaning sensors... it isn't nearly as difficult or delicate as most people believe. i have cleaned the sensor on my 30D several times. it's easy, though it can be tedious (sometimes the dust bunnies don't go away, they just move around!). i use the Micro-Tools SensorSwabs and Eclipse cleaning solution. find the kit for your camera here:
    https://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByC...ategoryCode=DCK
    the kit for my 30D cost me about , but it's been almost a year and i still have plenty of swabs and fluid left, so over time it's not an expensive proposition.

to see if your sensor needs cleaning, aim your camera at a solid, light colored area that fills the viewfinder... clear sky, a white wall, even a piece of white paper will work. stop the lens down (bunnies show up better at f16 or smaller apertures...) and snap a shot. now look at the image on your computer. if you see dark spots or blotches, your sensor needs cleaning. as long as you're reasonably careful, it's really pretty foolproof. remember, you're not cleaning the sensor itself... you're cleaning a glass low-pass filter in FRONT of the sensor. for Canon DSLRs, it's pretty simple. (the steps below assume you're using Sensor Swabs and some kind of cleaning solution)

1. remove the lens.
    2. in the menu, select "sensor cleaning".
    3. the mirror will lock up, and you will now see the sensor hiding back there in the body.
    4. apply a couple of drops of cleaning solution to the swab, which should be exactly the same width as the sensor.
    5. gently - with about the same pressure you'd use writing with a felt-tipped pen - move the swab from one end of the sensor to the other.
    6. turn the swab over, and sweep across the sensor in the opposite direction.
    7. after you've swabbed the sensor, turn the camera off. the mirror will snap back into position.
    8. reinstall you lens, and take a test photo as outlined above. if the spots are gone, you're done. if they're still there, repeat steps 1-7 as needed.

there... that wasn't scary at all, was it?
    trust your gut- you'll be glad you did!!!

canon rebel xti / 18-55mm / 75-300mm telephoto

SGM

I'm 100% behind JoeyBowman's method. Take the brush off. I found that the hard way. It took ages to remove that one hair dislodged from the brush. My Nikon D50 has a "mirror lockup" setting in the menu. Mirror up and two puffs... all done. But as said before, dust will come back. I change lenses a lot and have to clean the sensor every couple of months.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I had originally suggest (in this very post) that many of the commercial cleanning kits come with compressed air. As it turns out, at least one does but the system is set up so the air creates a vacuum and sucks the dust out. I, haven't tried it, but have thought of it. What I do use is a "rocket blower". It's a little gizmo made specifically to blow air; no brush attached. I actually carry this little gizmo in my camera bag so I can puff some air if I need to. I even use it to blow dust off my lenses.

I have cleaned my sensor several times and it scars me. What scars me is I know that if the dust is not really dust but a piece of sand or other hard matter I may very well scratch the sensor. If it's only dust there is very little danger as long as you're using commercial cleaning products designed for sensor cleaning. I'm using the green-clean" system; a wet swab folloed by a dry swab.

Perhaps it's just my bad habits, but I find myself cleaning the sensor about once every two months. So my advice is that you need to how to do this. I try to minimize dust in the camera by changing the lens with the body held facing down. That way, things can't fall on to the sensor. I also "dusting off" the back of the lens with the rocket blower.

On the Nikon D80 you need to find "mirror lockup" on the menu and set it to on. You must have a FULL battery or the mirror lockup function will be grayed out and you won't be able to select it.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I just got back from the camera shop and they explained to me that the reason thatg you don't want to use compressed is simple. It almost always contains moisture and that moisture will condense on the sensor and then you need to clean up the cleaning. The liquid is mostly just water but could have other contaminates in it. But mostly it is the water; which will mix with the dus and stick even harder. They told me you can buy certified dry air but it's costly. And if my physics serve me, there is a reaction of sorts that takes place when air that has been compressed decompresses. The decompression itself may cause condensation so compressed air just ins't likely to be a good thing.
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links