Camera Sensor Cleaning

This is a discussion on Camera Sensor Cleaning within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Patrick you are at the point where I don't want to be, I am always ultra careful when changing lens but its going to happen ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Camera Sensor Cleaning

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Patrick you are at the point where I don't want to be, I am always ultra careful when changing lens but its going to happen to me one day. There are special cleaning kits but they are also expensive, maybe its just a speck of dust that can be blown off but you got to be careful with that also.

If it was me I would search the net for advice, maybe someone on here has a good easy solution for you.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I have a poorly Nikon D40.

It appears that I have managed to get a foreign body, piece of dust or something, on my sensor.

Now I know there a Few D80 owners in here, which ain't that dissimilar to the D40 in function. Any clear and practical advice on this subject.

I have been advised that if its just one piece of dust on there its best to just leave it alone because "getting it wrong" may make the situation worse. This is probably good advice however I really dont want to see the contamination on my images and spend valuable time cleanining them up in PS.

I know of course I can take it back to the retailer for a service but wanted to know if there is a simpler, less expensive option.

The camera is about 4 months old

Regards

Patrick

Cleaning a sensor is fairly simple and easy.

This is how I clean my sensor, some people will disagree with how I do it and say that I am doing it all wrong while other people say this is just fine. The person that taught me how to do this also told me something that really helped, No body at any service center will do as good of a job as you will because it is not their camera, but just another camera they have to service.

Sending a camera to a service center for such an easy task to me seems a litle pointless. Dust can get onto your sensor ANYTIME you change your lens, no matter how careful you are, it can happen.

You need one of these things, I do not know the exact term for them, and I pulled this picture off of the internet

You can buy them at Best Buy in a pack of cleaning supplies for like $4, the other stuff is useless but this comes in handy.

First of all. TAKE THE BRUSH OFF!!! do not put that brush any where near the inside of your camera.

Now, check and see if your camera has a sensor cleaning setting, most Canon cameras have this function, all it does it open up the shutter so that you can access the sensor. A lot of my friends that use Nikon do not have this option though and so they have to put the camera on manual/bulb to do so.

Make sure your batteries are charged. Take your lens off, now turn on the camera and either use a setting if your camera has it, if not, you will have to hold your finger on the shutter in bulb mode. With the camera pointing down, take the little blower thing, insert the the tip of the blower just a tad bit into the camera body and start squeezing it. Do this a handful of times then stop, at the point turn your camera off, or release the shutter.

In most cases doing this process gets the dust off of my sensor, when it doesnt, I use the cleaning supplies from www.photographicsolutions.com to clean my sensor.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Its a blower brush and they come without the bristles too,

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thankyou very much for the advice. Its massively appreciated.

I will give this a try later! The worst I can do is break the camera totally then I would have to go and buy a D40 or a Canon 400d lol.

Thanks once again

Wish me luck.

Patrick
    Nikon D700 / D40 - Nikon 16-35mm, Nikon 50mm F1.8 Prime, Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, Sigma 70-300 F4

www.pmc-photography.co.uk

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Here is an older posts w/ lots of sensor cleaning info:

http://www.photoforum.com/index.php?showto...3&hl=sensor

My sister had dust on her sensor and she brought to the camera shopts locally and they all wanted it for 2-3 weeks!!!!!!!!! she did it herself by blowing some air as well.

I'm moving your post over to "digital cameras" - it may get more views there.
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Joey,

Thanks mate! You saved my life!!

I followed your advice and when I held the camera upside down in BULB mode and injected the air I saw something small and kinda white drop out onto the table but was so small I couldnt see it on the white table cloth.

Re-Cleaned all my lenses and taken some test shots. All back to superb crisp and clear normal.

I cant thank you enough.

Patrick

Nikon D700 / D40 - Nikon 16-35mm, Nikon 50mm F1.8 Prime, Tamron 90mm F2.8 Macro, Sigma 70-300 F4

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Patrick great one - nice to hear a happy ending - one thing I do know is don't ever use the compressed air cans.

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    OMG

I was going to get one and use that method.

Whats the reason? Too aggresive on the sensor?

Patrick

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Yes and think about it any minute particles in the can will come out like bullets - the air is not pure

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    There are also chemicals in the compressed air that are bad for the camera and sensor.
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links