Inexpensive strobe light?

This is a discussion on Inexpensive strobe light? within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hey guys; I've been thinking of getting into strobe photography, but am unable to afford (or justify) a very expensive studio strobe light. I own ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Inexpensive strobe light?

Hey guys;
    I've been thinking of getting into strobe photography, but am unable to afford (or justify) a very expensive studio strobe light.
    I own a Nikon D200 and Nikon Speedlight SB-600, but of course the speedlight cannot do fast strobing.
    I am interested in catching action like water droplets, and the like.
    What I would do is set up my D200 on a tripod in a dark room, using the bulb setting.
    I just bought a Sigma 105mm macro lens, which I think would work quite well for what I want to do.

I checked on Amazon, and found a very inexpensive strobe light for under $75:
    https://smile.amazon.com/LS-PHOTOGRAPHY-Monolight-Construction-Photography/dp/B08TZWD265/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=strobe+light+pho tography&qid=1618926961&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMU45M 1BQSFFJWjIyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzAwNzE0MTQwSVFWUEp OVFhLSiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwODMyNzA3M0NGRlVRTzNHR VEzRyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWR pcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

There are no customer ratings for this unit, nor can I find any by Google search.
    What do you think? Is this just a 'toy' that would be a waste of money?
    Should I perhaps try to build something using a xenon flash tube?

Thanks for your help
    Ultrarunner

Equipment
    Full spectrum A7ii, or one of my many other cameras with a wide assortment of lenses both Native & adapted.
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I've brought a relatively cheap new studio flash similar to the one you linked which works very well. I've also picked up a more powerful used studio light which worked out cheaper.
    Of the two the new model is considerable more user friendly as the old one only has a few power settings & uses an old style fitting for modifiers. the circular flash tube in your link IS a xenon flash tube.
    I think my old model is somewhat more rugged it seems to have survived a hard professional life of about 40 years & is significantly heavier than the budget model

Most modern speedlight type flashes have a high speed sinc setting which is equivalent to very fast strobing. My studio flashes can't do this but have short recharge times so can fire again in around a second. I've always found speedlights to be better for macro work - with the camera so close to the sample you tend to get in the way of a distant light & in close even small speedlights are more powerful than is needed. On low power they should fire reasonably often, but arranging automatic triggering the lights is the real secret for shooting water drops. I've seen many designs for circuits with adjustble time delays after a drop is released/detected.

FWIW I have also used a party strobe where I've wanted regular bursts of light at a controllable rate (the unit I have was 20).

Equipment
    Nikon d750 + 35mm 1.4 + 85mm 1.8
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The Yongnuo range are quite good anr inexpensive. I have a few of these and have used them for years. Can't really complaint.

PHOTO EDITING OK

I love your content! Great job!
    www.tummytuckportland.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I highly appreciate your work here! Thank you so much!

www.tummytuckokc.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I wanna know more about this because this is really informative!www.tummytuckcincinnati.com

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great blog !! You should start many more. I love all the info provided. I will stay tuned.
    www.oya.com.au/cessnock-office/

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links