Macro lens for Nikon D200

This is a discussion on Macro lens for Nikon D200 within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hi; I have owned my D200 since 2006, and it's still in new condition, and works perfectly as well. Maybe doesn't have the larger sensor ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Macro lens for Nikon D200

Hi;
    I have owned my D200 since 2006, and it's still in new condition, and works perfectly as well. Maybe doesn't have the larger sensor with 20MP or whatnot, but for my non-professional use, it's still a great camera.
    OK. Now I am looking to buy a macro lens. I read a few blogs and watched a couple yT vids, and concensus is that a 100 mm lens would work best for 1:1.
    I cannot afford the Nikor lens @ > $1,000, so I found this Sigma lens for under $600 on Amazon and at B&H Photo.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2_8_EX_DG.html

The price is the same at B&H and Amazon, but on Amazon, it states that the lens is the 'international' model with no warranty.
    I don't know whether the same is true at B&H, but before buying, I plan to inquire. I would hate to spend more than $500 on a lens, only to have it stop working after 6 months without a warranty.

Now about the lens itself: I understand that while the F mount on this lens will fit my D200, I am unsure of whether or not I will get the 1:1 ratio.
    I read something about cropping, which I understand to be what happens if you use a lens on a camera with a smaller sensor than the one it is typically intended to be used on.
    I would have thought that the sensor is 35mm, but now I'm not sure.

It's not that having a cropped image would really be a problem; it would only give me a higher (maybe 1.5:1) ratio instead of the 1:1?
    If that is the case, is there a different lens that would work better on my camera?

I trust the Sigma brand, as I have owned their lenses before and always found them to be excellent quality.
    Since I am not doing pro work with this lens, I won't notice any difference between a Nikor and the Sigma - if there is actually any photographic difference.

I appreciate any help you can give me, as this will be my first lens purchase in about 13 years!

Thanks
    Ultrarunner

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I've had a Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro. I bought it second hand. I've mainly used it to photograph wedding rings and some wedding details, it's been great and you can get it at a reasonable price second hand from Ebay or similar sites.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I notice that the Sigma lens I have been looking at is priced at $569 everywhere, with a 'list price' that is $400 higher. Does anyone know whether this is a 'sale' or is it the regular price for this lens.
    I am procrastinating on buying it now, but wouldn't want to wait until the price increases.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links