tripods.. can I go wrong?

This is a discussion on tripods.. can I go wrong? within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I want a tripod.. I've got the shakiest hand known to man.. lol and I just want one. I just got the Nikon D3000 as ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

tripods.. can I go wrong?

I want a tripod.. I've got the shakiest hand known to man.. lol and I just want one. I just got the Nikon D3000 as my first DSLR and I'm thrilled with it thus far. So I'm looking at tripods.. can I go wrong? Is there such thing as a "bad tripod"?

Anything I should steer clear of? How tall is tall enough? I'd like to be able to photograph my husband because well, he's willing, and he's 6'5" so do I need the tallest thing I can find or what? lol Just looking for some general suggestions, not necessarily "buy this tripod model #12345."

Thanks in advance! Oh, and its not for professional use.. so it doesn't need to be too high tech fancy or anything.

If you are only going to pull out the tripod 2 or 3 times a year for family pics then any tripod will do. But you are going to get what you pay for. A cheap tripod will break down after little use. Legs will slide, the camera will droop. Plan on spending a couple hundred dollars and your tripod will last a lifetime. Personally Id stay away from anything with Manfrotto name on it. Vanguard makes a good one. Gitzo is another good maker.

Bynx has made some really good brand recommendations. If you stick with these brand you won't go wrong. The only difference in the models that they have are going to be the following. If the tripod is heavy it will be more stable than a lighter one. If it is more heavy though you may not want to take it on a 10 mile hike. So in that case you may want to forgo the stability of a heavy tripod and go with carbon fiber to lighten the load. If it is too heavy you will get tired of hauling it everywhere and stop using it. Too light and a heavy wind may cause camera shake.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    If you are only going to pull out the tripod 2 or 3 times a year for family pics then any tripod will do. But you are going to get what you pay for. A cheap tripod will break down after little use. Legs will slide, the camera will droop. Plan on spending a couple hundred dollars and your tripod will last a lifetime. Personally Id stay away from anything with Manfrotto name on it. Vanguard makes a good one. Gitzo is another good maker.
    Perfectly suggested!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links