Pentax vs Nikon

This is a discussion on Pentax vs Nikon within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hello guys I want to buy either the Nikon D80 or the Pentax k10d.Both of them have the same specifications with the only difference that ...

Thread: Pentax vs Nikon

PHOTO EDITING OK

Pentax vs Nikon

Hello guys I want to buy either the Nikon D80 or the Pentax k10d.Both of them have the same specifications with the only difference that the Pentax has optical stabilisation.What's your opinion ? For which of them do you think it would be easier to find cheaper used lenses,Nikon or Pentax and which of them should I trust ?

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Canon DSLR’s are better for sports, action, wedding photography because they have better auto-focus. Canon DSLR’s also offer much better video than Pentax DSLR’s. They have higher flash sync speed (over 1/200th sec) which Professional Photographers like to have. Pentax cameras are good if you only want to shoot still photos.

PHOTO EDITING OK

Pentax vs Nikon

Both, the Nikon D80 and the Pentax K10d cameras, were launched to market in 2006, so are "quite old", with newer cameras having been produced since.

But you probably have your arguments for making this choice.

While I don't know the Pentax lineup, here are a few considerations for the D80:

- Nikon is adding their optical stabilization in the lenses rather than in the camerabody (but not all lenses do have stabilization)
    - Nikon (and third party producers) will offer a broad range of lenses. Older Nikon lenses shall work on the D80, as will recent lenses.
    - I suppose that the D80 has the build-in motor for autofocussing (which was removed from the D3xxx and D5xxx series), allowing for older lenses to autofocus
    - for the period when it was produced it had a good dynamic range, even so modern cameras will outperform here, as well as on high ISO.

My impression is that the market of used Nikon lenses is larger than for Pentax, so you might have more choice. On the other hand Nikon lenses are known to perform long, so sellers might slightly push the price.
    Last edited by Jerry_; 05-04-2017 at 06:52 AM.

Im a Nikon user, but would recommend Canon, only because it can be hacked with Magic Lantern software, greatly increasing the function of the camera. I only wish Magic Lantern was available for Nikon.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I would vote for Pentax since it offers better auto focus. Actually it backs to your own needs on deciding which one is better.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links