Schedule Confusion

This is a discussion on Schedule Confusion within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hello there. We have a video and photography business for events, etc. At the same time, we have a small store for camera accessories and ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Charlie_S

Thread: Schedule Confusion

PHOTO EDITING OK

Schedule Confusion

Hello there. We have a video and photography business for events, etc. At the same time, we have a small store for camera accessories and photo printing supplies. It's just me and my best friend and 2 employees. For some reason, we can't get our schedules straight. Like who is going to the event with whom and who will stay put and look after the store. Sometimes, the store is left closed because we all show up at an event ... lol. Is there an app that we can use to get us organized? or should we just stick to texting and sending calendar reminders via google? Your advise please?

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    What I see here is a prime example of people thinking they have to rely on current technology. What would you have done before an I Phone (or similar) started running your lives.
    As a business owner its your responsibility to religate job assignments to employees instead of (it sounds like) everyone doing as they please, so here's a novel idea requires only minimal expense. DRY ERASE BOARD! Put it in a prominant place and exercise supervisor capabilitys by actually giving job assignments. If you are not capable of maintaining a schedule then ASSIGN it to somone.
    tirediron likes this.
    Does anyone know of photography forum's that people Actually reply/comment to postings???

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_S View Post
    What I see here is a prime example of people thinking they have to rely on current technology. What would you have done before an I Phone (or similar) started running your lives.
    As a business owner its your responsibility to religate job assignments to employees instead of (it sounds like) everyone doing as they please, so here's a novel idea requires only minimal expense. DRY ERASE BOARD! Put it in a prominant place and exercise supervisor capabilitys by actually giving job assignments. If you are not capable of maintaining a schedule then ASSIGN it to somone.
    Aboslutely this! I have all sorts of calendar applications, but at the end of the day, my definitive schedule is a printer paper calendar (1 month/page) onto which I write times and jobs. Further details are written down in a hard-bound notebook into which I tuck the calendar. It has no batter to run down, works when the power is off, and worst-case scenario, I forget my pen? I can probably borrow one!
    Visit my website: John's Photography Comments and critique always appreciated.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tirediron View Post
    Aboslutely this! I have all sorts of calendar applications, but at the end of the day, my definitive schedule is a printer paper calendar (1 month/page) onto which I write times and jobs. Further details are written down in a hard-bound notebook into which I tuck the calendar. It has no batter to run down, works when the power is off, and worst-case scenario, I forget my pen? I can probably borrow one!
    You know, I agree with you in one way, but not in another. At home for my family, I have calendars printed out and hanging on the fridge for everyone to see. I also have one by the door for reminders such as to check all the windows and computers and to bring house keys and all that.

When it comes to work, though, we have to be open to technology at some point. Especially for our business where one of our selling points is technology. We need to be able to assure our clients that we are up-to-date on photography technology and that we can, indeed, provide world-class photography service. Also, most of us would only go to the store once or twice a week to stock up on supplies for events that we cover. A board would be of no use to us. A notebook, you say? What impression do you think will a client have of us if he/she would like to book us for an event and we take out a notebook, a pen and a calendar print out? Imagine saying, we are up-to-date on technology then we take those out to check our schedule? Lovely picture, huh?

Again, I agree with you in a way. One of my business partners work at a bank and in their effort to compete, they always try out new technology, such as this, for their org dev team. The migration of those systems are not easy. I'm not sure how familiar you are with these, but to prove your point, it is unnecessary to keep switching. For other businesses, though, such as ours, that rely heavily on technology, your aversion (for lack of better term - and I am using this with all due respect) to technology will simply not work out.

Yes, I am familiar with dry erase board technique you are referring to because we have the same in our store for targets and reminders and to simply say "hi" to one another whenever someone drops by the store.

Anyway, I am still hoping that someone can give me a name or two for an app. I've also been looking and so far, I'm coming up with much too complex apps - so we are still using iphone and calendar reminders -

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Since you note you use calanders at home, then let that be an example of how effecient and NON time consuming they are.
    If you can't be bothered at work to use the same technology, particularly regarding the simplicity and minimal time involved, you'll never be successfull with continually going to an "ap" to keep everyone in the loop.
    Being a good boss means using the most effecient, non time consuming, and cost effective technique available. Since you seem to be locked into electronic technology just because its current or cutting edge, thats not being a good boss or effective employer, and offhand i'd say you could find better venue's to seek advice on software.
    And what happens when your phone dies, gets lost, or stolen? Sometimes old technology is still more effecient overall.
    Does anyone know of photography forum's that people Actually reply/comment to postings???

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi, Unevenexcited I understand that you need reliable apps to get your business organized. There are some that I found online and I believe its free. You may want to try and research about Wunderlist , EZ Balances II, and Expensify. However, If you wish to ensure safety and quality for your business, I suggest you go for a legit one even if you spend for it.
    Last edited by sweetresemblance; 03-15-2015 at 10:50 PM.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I've used Wunderlist before and it works very well in my experience.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links