Help needed.

This is a discussion on Help needed. within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hi! I need some help in deciding what equipment to buy. I can spend several thousands of dollars if need be. I'm not completely new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help needed.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi! I need some help in deciding what equipment to buy. I can spend several thousands of dollars if need be. I'm not completely new to photography but all my film cameras had been stolen and I have not been keeping up with the progress. Currently I have an already aging Canon 2MP Powershot and wife has a Nikon D70 which I have used sometimes but have not been impressed. At least not with that kit lens and default settings.

Money was never a problem for me but time was. Now I have the time and I want to delve into the DSLR to learn a bit. My primary focus is sports, although it's quite a wide topic. I'd love to be able to take good ice hockey shots in arenas that are not necessarily well lit. But I would also want to take good shots of outdoor soccer, a nice close up on a bird in the park and, of course, any landscape that looks worth keeping. Now, how do you do that without investing in 10 different lenses? Can you grow into this range of photography without buying the cheap stuff only to learn you need to throw it away to go to the next step..?

From what I have been reading recently, only Canon and Nikon are recognized cameras. And Canon seems to be a clear winner as far as indoor sports go because of better image quality at higher ISO. But is it really so? Any help would be appreciated but please do not suggest EOS 1Ds MarkII. I'm trying to buy a camera and not a vehicle.

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I just got the D80 and I personally love it....
    But I'm not the best to give advice on something like this but I'm sure some other members could help you out with some advice!
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Listen to advice - check your budget - search the net for the reviews - you got the money - then theres a system out there for you

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    My primary focus is sports
    Get at least Canon 20D.

I'd love to be able to take good ice hockey shots in arenas that are not necessarily well lit.
    Canon Indoor Sports Lens Recommendations

I would also want to take good shots of outdoor soccer..
    Canon Outdoor Sports Lens Recommendations

..a nice close up on a bird in the park and, of course, any landscape that looks worth keeping.
    Canon Wildlife Lens Recommendations

Canon Landscape Lens Recommendations
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks for these links. I've studied them and think I could do away with just two lenses. Money is not a big problem but I do like to know I'm paying the right price. I can't find the D20 anywhere so I guess the next model in line that you'd suggest would be the 5D. I wonder if that camera is priced right. You are buying a full frame censor so you're already committing yourself to buying expensive lenses. Wouldn't it make sense to price the body lower, then? Especially if it has no environmental seals or build in flash..? What do you think about pricing of this as a Canon enthusiast?

Any Nikon people here? I would want to know what their experiences are with D200 and Nikon lenses for wide spectrum of photography. Sports, wildlife, landscape. I'm not big on portraits but would be happy to hear anyways. How do you see Nikon's performace as compared to Canon?

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I can't find the D20 anywhere so I guess the next model in line that you'd suggest would be the 5D.
    The next model in line that I'd suggest would be the 30D
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    What about the lens? I'd buy the telephoto for sports a little later. First, I'd get something for landscapes and indoors...

Does it make sense to invest into EF-S such as this: 17-55 f/2.8 IS ?

Research it out and then buy a Nikon.

My wife uses a D-200 and it's a great camera. I use a D2X and love it but you are getting my opinion. I have shot Nikon for 30+ years and have a lot of Nikon equipment I was not willing to toss to go with another system. I don't know what I would get if I was starting over again.

I believe one is as good as the other and it's your money. Research.
    To make a difference in someones day or life, just be nice.

IAFF L-726

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Does it make sense to invest into EF-S such as this: 17-55 f/2.8 IS ?
    It's a great lens, but it cannot be used in full frame bodies.
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I would go Canon 30D and lense would be 24-105f/4L and 100-400f/4.5L ,Macro lense 100mm f/2.8and flash ,filter & tripood .Those can cost you about $5000 .

If you really in to wide angle then you can invest more lense like 17-40 or 16-35 .

•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links