LENSES: complete set up!!!

This is a discussion on LENSES: complete set up!!! within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hi there, I own a 400D with the 18-55 and 75-300 kit....but I am looking at investing in better lenses which can give me a ...

Hi there,
    I own a 400D with the 18-55 and 75-300 kit....but I am looking at investing in better lenses which can give me a complete focal coverage. I have bought a tamron 17-50 f2.8 in April in Tokyo, it's a nice glass but am intrigued by Canon alternatives, not necessarily at f2.8.
    I mainly shoot landscape, architecture, occasional portrait.

I thought that a good set up would be:
    Canon 10-22
    Canon 24-70 f2.8 USM or 17-40 f4 L USM or 28-135 IS USM
    Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM

Of couse, it will happen slowly as the expense is considerable.
    Do you think this is the way to go? Am I getting too much, maybe 10-22 is not necessary?
    I know it's all subjective. I am just after personal opinions.

In the future, money permitting, I will look into a better body, too.
    What body would you recommend to take advantage of such lenses? 50D maybe?

Thank you all for any suggestions you may post.

Bye for now

Quote Originally Posted by h@ppiness68 View Post
    Hi there,
    I own a 400D with the 18-55 and 75-300 kit....but I am looking at investing in better lenses which can give me a complete focal coverage. I have bought a tamron 17-50 f2.8 in April in Tokyo, it's a nice glass but am intrigued by Canon alternatives, not necessarily at f2.8.
    I mainly shoot landscape, architecture, occasional portrait.

Canon 10-22
    Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM

Do you think this is the way to go? Am I getting too much, maybe 10-22 is not necessary?
    I know it's all subjective. I am just after personal opinions.

In the future, money permitting, I will look into a better body, too.
    What body would you recommend to take advantage of such lenses? 50D maybe?

Thank you all for any suggestions you may post.

Bye for now

..............anyone?....................

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Nikon shooter here, but since you mention architecture and landscape, I think you're going to want one of those ultra-wides. Certainly the Canon 10-22 has an excellent reputation. Lot's of folks here on the forum are also happy with the Sigma 10-20 and the 2 ultrawides from Tokina.

I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 and love it... but if I were a Canon shooter, I think I'd be intrigued by their f/4 offering as well.

Good luck!

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Don't feel you need to cover the entire range mm by mm. Get lenses that suit a particular task, like the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM for tele portraits, a normal lens like a 50 /1.4 and a wide/ ultrawide.
    Currently playing with my EOS 1V & 5D MkII + various L-Series, Minolta MC/MD, M39 RFs, assorted 70-80's fixed lens RFs and occasional MF TLRs

Shpongled
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I'm all Nikon but if you're covered mm by mm, that's great. Landscapes can be shot with any focal length. Your toughest choice will be over the 24-70 or 28-135. You have to choose between f/2.8 or IS.
    ------------------------
    Nikon D200
    Tamron 17-50mm VC
    Sigma 10-20mm
    SB-600 + Gary Fong Lightsphere
    Phottix Plato Wireless Remote

I bit late, but, here goes :

I have 2 x 30D bodys, and my interests range from landscapes to airshows. I use the following lenses, and can absoluteky recommend them :

Sigma 10-22
    Canon 24-105 L IS
    Canon 100-400 L IS

Only upgrade for me would be the 400 prime, as the majority of airshow flying shots are at the 400 end of the 100-400.

Regards,

Dave

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    i've got the 17-40mm L, 24-70mm L, 70-200mm f/4 L non-is and the 100-400mm L on a 5d mkii and 40d.

for portraits the 17-40 is a bit too short on the 40d and definitely on the 5d mkii. for landscapes i use the 17-40 and 24-70 equally on the 5d mkii. with the 40d i find the 24-70 to be too long for landscapes. i don't find the need for IS on the 70-200 f/4 because when i'm shooting low light i usually have the wider angle lenses on, especially on indoor shots, wildlife is usually fine. the 100-400mm is soft and i only use it when the 70-200 doesn't have enough reach.

the only difference i can see between the 40d and the 50d is the video. image quality is pretty much the same. so if you can get a new 40d it might save you a few bucks.

Just you, me and a few Friends Hangin out, doin what we enjoy
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I shoot a newer 50D and it has no video, it shoots higher Megapixels then the 40 and much better images at higher ISO's and faster shutter speed, I love the sigma 70-200 f2.8 only wish I had gotten a higher mm lens. I recently purchased a canon 7D and that is 1 great camera, just thought I would tell ya's..........
    Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Canon Rebel XTi
    Canon 50mm f/1.8.....Sigma 28-90mm f/2.8.....Canon 75-300mm f/4-5.6.....Sigma 80-200 f/2.8.....Canon 28-135mmf/3-4.5

Recording History.......

My Profesional Page.....
    http://www.hodgesphotography.biz

[color="#000000"]Visit me on Face Book......

[url="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Hodges-Photography-and-Design/200526194513?success=1&v=wall"]

lost. always lost..
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    oy, thats odd.. a friend of mine recorded video with his 50d, but i wonder if he tethered it and recorded video using another program to record what was on his screen. i know it wasn't hd quality video he showed me, definitely not reverie.

Quote Originally Posted by h@ppiness68 View Post
    Canon 10-22
    Canon 70-200 f4 IS USM

That looks like it pretty much covers it to me. Something in the 10-22 range (on and APS-C format camera) would be very nice for landscape and architecture. I'd save the money by looking into Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma equivalents. A feature like IS is going to be more important at the long focal lengths than the shorter ones.
    "I don’t use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links