Question from a newbie, regarding lenses

This is a discussion on Question from a newbie, regarding lenses within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I'm a real newbie, my question may sound stupid but I have to ask, are there lenses that work as macro and normal lenses? If ...

I'm a real newbie, my question may sound stupid but I have to ask, are there lenses that work as macro and normal lenses? If I want to shoot macro do I need a lens exclusively for macros?

Most macro lenses are simply prime lenses which will also focus close up. As such they make excellent portarait lenses. I love my 60mm macro for 'regular' shots since it's so much sharper than my kit zoom.

The main exception to the above I can think of is the Canon MP-E65 which can only be used for macro work.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    on some lens, you can use a close-up filter. You didn't mention which system you shoot, but for Canon, you could look into the 500D or 250D. Hope that helps

-Keegan

Is there any reason I should consider the 500D or 250D instead of an EF 25 II of EF 12 II extension tube? Other than what I consider a slight difference in cost what are the reasons to choose one over the other? The extension tubes look like they would fit more different lenses. If it makes any difference I have a 5d Mark II.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    your really going to have to manually focus with a true 1:1 macro anyway, so i would just look for an older manual focus macro lens.
    that way, you get a dedicated 1:1 macro lens instead of just adding thread on lenses or tubes.

If you want to do macro shots have you considered a reverse ring?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bynx; 11-21-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Equipment
    Nikon D610, Nikon D90
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    There are so many lenses that can act as both a macro and standard lens. For Nikon, I ADORE my 28-105, which goes into macro from 50-105. I've shot tons of product photography with that lens. I also have an older Sigma 100-200 that has a few different macro positions. What system are you shooting on?

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links