Confusion has set in!

This is a discussion on Confusion has set in! within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; I've done alot of researching these last few months, in anticipation of the tax refund check getting here, of which my husband has agreed I ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I've done alot of researching these last few months, in anticipation of the tax refund check getting here, of which my husband has agreed I can have $5,000 of, to purchase my new camera equipment. However, I've been going back and forth, wondering if my decisions are the right ones. On my list currently, is the Nikon D700, a 70-200mm 2.8, a 50mm 1.4, and some type of affordable quality lighting. I'm sure I'm over budget already, and there are some other odds and ends that will have to come out of my pocket as I can add them. I want to be sure I'm purchasing items that I know are quality, so that I don't second guess what I bought in the end, and so that I am completely satisfied.

I am going into this with the prospect of "business" in mind. Right now, I've given myself a 1 year goal, or however long I need, and I figure this will really allow me the time I need to learn, then find my nitch as to the type of area I want to pursue. Right now, I love every type of photography, macro, landscape, nature, animals, and people.

I'm leaning more toward doing pet photography, pet portraits. I want to be able to go into customers homes, shoot both in natural light, and have the option for them of having a light set-up as well. I would like to have a small studio here, for people who want their portraits done as well. I would also be open to shooting anniversary parties, family portraits, get togethers.........preferably not weddings.

My goal is simple, to be able to bring in some extra money into the house. I don't want to set the goals to high, and end up stressing myself. I'm going to be taking a couple one on one lessons when I get the new camera, and come summer I will be taking some summer into fall courses at our technical college, lighting and composition, an intermediate course on shooting and editing with digital cameras, and a photoshop course. There is also a group put together through this school, that does off campus shoots. This I'm really looking forward to! Along with school, I plan on doing exactly what I'm doing now......experimenting with anything and everything I can think of!

My confusion is simply this..............Would it be better to start with a less expensive camera, and be able to afford more "extras", or go for the D700 right off the bat? Money like this isn't going to come around every day for me, so I need to make smart decisions, and I want to avoid being disappointed in the end, only to have to start all over.

Sorry to have been so long winded, but I'd love to hear some feedback, and advise, from those who may have some thoughts on this.
    Geri
    People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life. ~Faith Resnick

Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR, Nikon TC-17E teleconverter.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    i am wondering why you would switch to Nikon when you already have some good canon glass? Don't get me wrong Nikon makes some good equipment, but Canon has some great frames as well. RG
    Canon's --> || EOS 30D || EF28-135mm IS USM || EF70-200 f/2.8L IS USM ||

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Geri you have heard my side of it - I hope the members can help

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Any photo is 60% photographer, 30% lens and 10% camera. Since you can't buy a new you, prioritise your spending towards good lenses. The camera is largely irrelevant. Even your 300D is capable of producing saleable quality prints up to 15x10", particularly under controlled lighting.

Hub

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Spotted1,

Considering you already have a decent DSLR -- especially for learning. I would suggest putting you money into an interest bearing account and focus your full attention on education and practice. One of the side benefits of a good photo education is being able to identify your area of professional interest and the photographic equipment you will most need. Right now your interest covers everything photographic. This would imply you need to buy one of everything.

Take the time now to MASTER the fundamentals of photography. Identify what you want to do professionally. And then consider the equipment purchases. You can always run down to the camera store and buy a camera. That's the easy part.

Good luck in your education and your career.

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks everyone, you have given me.......us (husband and I).......some great feedback, and offered some really important things to consider. First, let me say, I have a wonderful husband, and am very greatful he is being so supportive.

Right now your interest covers everything photographic. This would imply you need to buy one of everything.
    Hub, I really agree with this statment from you. That alone has really opened up my eyes to what I was doing, and I realize that I have to stop looking at it in this way. That will give me the opportunity to work towards a goal, to get those extras that I may want, down the road, when I'm hopefully starting to take in some money, and can put it back into supplies. My mind, right now, is focused soley on making this work as a pet photography business, it's really become something I love doing, and also with some extras on the side as needed, or as possible.

Even your 300D is capable of producing saleable quality prints up to 15x10", [b]particularly under controlled lighting.
    Agreed COMPLETELY!

For some reason, after approaching my husband with all of this, explaining my thoughts, and being content with the idea of maybe even investing less right away, concentrating more on learning, he is adament about me getting the D700 right away. He said he doesn't want me coming back later on down the road, looking to invest in another camera. Maybe he doesn't see how useful a second camera body could be. I suppose I should just be extremely greatful to have someone so supportive in my life!

Your feedback has helped me point my focus on a couple very important points though, thank you. Mainly that it is ok to start out slow, just being satisfied with getting a camera, with a couple quality lenses, and working from there. So, thank you.......very much!
    Geri
    People that hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life. ~Faith Resnick

Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm 2.8, Nikon 50mm 1.8, Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR, Nikon TC-17E teleconverter.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links