Nikon Lens by Phoenix 500mm f/8.0

This is a discussion on Nikon Lens by Phoenix 500mm f/8.0 within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2913...tml#accessories I was scrounging around B&H and I found this for $110. This is what it says.... Made under the Samyang brand name, this ultra-telephoto ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2913...tml#accessories

I was scrounging around B&H and I found this for $110.

This is what it says....

Made under the Samyang brand name, this ultra-telephoto lens is incredibly compact and lightweight for its focal lenght. This is archieved by using an advanced reflex design, and this lens is ideally suited for wildlife and sports photography. It has a fixed aperture of f/8.
    Simple T-mount adapters screw on the lens and make this lens adaptable to fit almost any current or even discontinued camera.

My Question: Would this lens not be a tad bit slow for sports and wildlife??? I think this would be more of a landscape thing.
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I've never used a lens of this type, but some people think they're OK, others think they're crap.

You get different looking bokeh with them, see here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxchu/347783782/

f/8 isn't all that slow, so long as you have a camera which produces good results at higher ISO values.
    My photo blog
    I use a Canon EOS 40D + various lenses.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    If I was to drop and get it...I would want to see long distance quality. I found one on flickr of a Lunar Eclipse...it was noisier than throwing sand in your camera body and shooting. I would like to see something shot at maybe 300 yards to see IQ on it.

It's cheap..but you also might get what you pay for.

Reading B&H's description again...they need a proofreader I think... "focal lenght" ..."This is archieved by"...lol

Another edit: You can help them fix descriptions....so I did.
    Equipment: Nikon D60 (18-55 & 55-200 Nikkor Vr Lenses) Yongnuo PT-04TM Triggers, a Quantaray 900WA, 2 Yongnuo YN 460 Mk II's, 2 Flash Stands, Umbrellas and a 16" Softbox.
    My Flickr
    MySpace

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Let us have a quick reality check.

It is a fixed focal length, fixed aperture, manual focus, mirror lens. The optical quality is going to be... "poo". Your only way of adjusting exposure will be to play with the shutter speed or the ISO (fixed aperture remember). It will also have wonky and distracting donut shaped bokeh (all mirror lenses do).

On the plus side it is very, very cheap for the focal length you get. Whether it is worth it is debatable - I wouldn't waste my money but then we're not talking about my money.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links