Canon Powershot S5 IS

This is a discussion on Canon Powershot S5 IS within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Hey everyone. So my last job, which was supposed to get me a new camera, didn't really quite pan out. But since then I've found ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hey everyone. So my last job, which was supposed to get me a new camera, didn't really quite pan out. But since then I've found the Canon Powershot S5 IS. It's not quite the camera I would die for, but it's a HUGE improvement over the camera I'm stuck using now, I know that for certain.

I've looked around and found a bunch of different prices all over the place, "I could buy the camera I REALLY want for that!!! " to "I could make that in two weeks!!! " Lol.

The average prices that I can find for it though are turning up around $200-$250. I was wondering if the camera is worth it?
    I do a lot...A LOT of macro, and this camera has a super macro on it which is definitely a selling point to me, but I've started to look at the bigger picture [no pun intended] and am trying out my hand at landscapes more and more now. The camera I'm using now has absolutely no hope of wide angle shots and I was wondering if this one is capable of it?

It seems to be really focused on the zoom and the video functions, neither of which matter that much to me. I was wondering if maybe everything that had been put into the zoom and the video functions meant it lacks what I'd need in photography?

Any help would be appreciated. I really want a Canon Rebel XTi...the camera I was supposed to get at first. It's about $650.00. Should I go ahead and get the S5 IS until I can get the Rebel or should I just hold it out to get the rebel? I'd really hate to spend my money on it and then be disappointed in the long run.
    Thanks everyone! ^_^
    --

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Here is a review of the camera with lots of info, my wife has an old S1 and swears by it

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons5is/

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Have no personal experience of this camera Jo, but I'm pretty sure Cindy uses it.
    Check out this thread; Summer Beauty
    Cracking Macro shots, I'm sure if you ask her she will give you the 'heads up'.

Peter
    Canon 40D, 30D, 70-200 L, 100 Macro, 75-300, 24-85 & 50 1.8

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Had an S1 that I liked a lot, and have a friend who loves his S3.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Jo, remember you're not just comparing the Powershot (at $200+) against the XTi (at $600+). As the XTi can handle a variety of lenses (which you find that you absolutely need), the comparison is between the Powershot (at $200+) and the XTi + assorted lenses (at several hundred +). Unfortunately, there is always that better camera out there that is so tempting. If you have a XTi, you want a 5D; if you have a 5D, you want a 1Ds mark II.
    John B

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks everyone, I had read a few reviews on it and checked out the specs, which was what made me wonder about the zoom and video on it. But thanks York, that one actually had a compairson to an older version of the camera which is kind of cool.
    Peter, the shots in that thread are gorgeous. If those were taken with that camera I'd be almost sold, lol. And I've sent her a message so thanks! ^_^

And you have a huge point John that I hadn't thought about. I mean, of course I had put thought into lenses and things like that, but not much thought about how much more expensive that makes the rebel.

I went on DeviantART last night and browsed through some photos that had be taken with the S5 IS. Some of course were things I could do with my camera now. But it actually helped a lot I think. I found some amazing macro shots and some breath taking landscapes.

There is still some deciding going on in my mind but I'm thinking I'll probably go ahead and get the S5 IS. I mean, even if it's not everything I want in a camera right now, it's a step above what I have until I can get the money for an even better camera. Thanks.
    --

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I have been using the Powershot and it is a really good little camera. I never used the video function on it but I bought it specifically to take on vacation with me since I didn't want to haul a big camera around. I got some fantastic landscapes with it! Check my previous posts and you should see some pictures from Ireland. Those are taken with the Powershot.

I can warn you that you will out grow the fixed lens pretty quick but I certainly understand monetary restraints. I would recommend it as a great intermediary until you can save up for all those extras that come with buying a new camera. Again, voice of experience here as I just went out at lunch and bought a new camera. ACK!!!!!! It's HOW many overtime shifts???????

Good luck!
    Elaine

www.elaineobrienphotography.com

My Favorite number of the alphabet is Purple!!!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Those shots do look really good. None of them seem to be quite as wide angled as I would like but I guess you only get as much as you pay for, and either way they're still better than my camera.

I use a powershot now actually, and I think it does fabulously for the kind of camera it is. I've been using it for photography and getting good feedback even though it is meant for less photographic purposes than I've been using it for. It's what makes me feel like it would be safe to get the S5 IS.
    Congrats on the new camera though! I'm sure that's exciting! ^_^

Like I said, the more I think about it the more I think I really want to go ahead and get it. And if nothing else, like I said, it's a lot better than what I have now and would be a huge improvement.
    --

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hi Joe,
    Don't know if you've brought already but spotted this on fredMiranda and thought of you.
    S5 IS

HTH

peter
    Canon 40D, 30D, 70-200 L, 100 Macro, 75-300, 24-85 & 50 1.8

PHOTO EDITING OK
    No actually I haven't bought anythiing yet. I'm still working on making the money whish will hopefully be SOON!
    But thank you very much, I can get it at Sam's Club here actually though for...I think it was 240-something. But thanks for the gesture Peter! ^_^
    --

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links