Standard flash vs digital flash

This is a discussion on Standard flash vs digital flash within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; [font=Arial] Hello to all! I'm new to your forum and sorta excited as I move from film to digital with a bezillion questions! First off, ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    [font=Arial]

Hello to all! I'm new to your forum and sorta excited as I move from film to digital with a bezillion questions!
    First off, GREETINGS! I'm Jesse and I shot semi pro from 1984 till 1991 after experiencing total burnout as a portrait and commercial photographer using the small & medium formats. I bought a Kodak P880 p&s a couple of years ago and now have a Nikon D40. Needless to say, I guess, is that digital and film are DIFFERENT, lol.
    ASA is ISO? FLASH? Well, on to my #1 question. I have 2 old but very functional Vivitar 3900 bracket flash units. (I can't find anything on the net about them; they are that old.) I do get results, but never consistant.
    Overexposed, underexposed and sometimes right on. Using bounce or even a soft box I get under exposure even after using a Minolta flash meter. I've experimented with over/under settings all in manual and RAW settings and my nieces wedding is a month away. I'm trying very hard not to buy a dedicated Nikon flash unit.
    I suspect that the biggest obstacle is the zoom lens (f3.5-5.6) And one more question, please.........If I under or over expose shooting in RAW, say 2 stops over or under (and yes, thats a lot) what can a professional digital processing lab do, or not do (exposure wise)? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but oh well.
    Hello again to all, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Maybe use the exposure lock, haven't tried that yet. Fixed lens?
    jessarooy2k (Jess)

-------------------------------------

To the challenge, passion, and just plain fun of it!

Kodak P880 P/S, Nikon D40, 18-55mm DX, 55-200mm VR DX, Nikon 18-70mm DX, Quantaray 2X, SB-600,
    Stroboframe, Novatron 440 Plus, 10'X20' Old Masters, filters galore, and on and on and on... lol
    Remember the "Brownies"?

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Welcome to the forum I am moving this across to the Digital Cameras discussion where I think it belongs.

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The rules of exposure haven't really changed just because the world has gone digital. Yes, ASA = ISO but an EV value is still an EV value and the correct exposure (in terms of ISO, shutter speed, aperture and flash power) for any given scene is the same regardless of whether you use a digital or a film camera to take the picture. There is no reason why using your manual flash settings, manual exposure on the camera and your Minolta flash meter correctly shouldn't get you an accurate exposure.

As far as under or over-exposure goes... under exposure is better than over. You can recover an under-exposed image to some extent at the expense of increasing the digital "noise" in the picture. Personally I don't like to boost an exposure by more than roughly 2/3rds of a stop in post processing but then I have a low tolerance for noise. Some people don't object to it quite so much.

Over-exposure is fatal. Detail lost in blown highlights is gone forever and can never be recovered.

Just a thought on your exposure issue... you're not attempting to trigger your external flashes as optical slaves from the camera's on-board flash are you? Because that certainly won't work.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thanks for your response & the info about over & under exposure in raw.
    No, I don't use a slave except when I'm using my studio strobes and thats by radio remote & it works very well. Its just frustrating to have a good bracket flash on a stroboframe unit in manual not giving me correct exposures in all zoom levels and I can't see purchasing a new zoom flash. I hate noise as much as the next person and thats one gripe I have next to a dedicated flash unit. The Minolta meter works well as far as exposure. But I'm shooting a wedding and she will want some hard copies, and thats why I asked about the over under question regarding a digital labs ability to correct. I don't have and can't afford a good raw editor program. Thank you for answering my question though. Hopefully I can find a happy medium! lol The little P880 have works excellantly with the bracket strobe, but the Nikon is something else. If only the P880 had a bigger sensor.
    jessarooy2k (Jess)

-------------------------------------

To the challenge, passion, and just plain fun of it!

Kodak P880 P/S, Nikon D40, 18-55mm DX, 55-200mm VR DX, Nikon 18-70mm DX, Quantaray 2X, SB-600,
    Stroboframe, Novatron 440 Plus, 10'X20' Old Masters, filters galore, and on and on and on... lol
    Remember the "Brownies"?

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links