So........if you were going to spend some money.....

This is a discussion on So........if you were going to spend some money..... within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; Would you buy a Sigma 18-200 with OS or a Canon 28-135 with IS. Seems I have a couple extra dollars to get rid of ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Would you buy a Sigma 18-200 with OS or a Canon 28-135 with IS. Seems I have a couple extra dollars to get rid of and was looking for opinions of those with possibly both lens or at least your thoughts on the 1 you have. Or throw an opinion out there on something else I should consider (would love L glass but I did mention I had a few bucks to spend). I have been sort of looking at the Tamron 28-300 with VC also.

Currently have the 18-55IS kit lens and a 70-300 with IS. The camera these will be attached to is the Canon XSI.

Mostly shooting landscapes, scenery type stuff and of course pics of my daughter. Going to Copper Harbor next month so mostly landscapes then.
    Canon T1i/Gripped // Canon 7D/Gripped
    Canon EF 300/f4 L IS // EF 70-200/f2.8LIS // EF 24-105/f4L IS // EF-S 17-55/f2.8 IS

big focus range results poor image quality. try to buy 2 lens , such as sigma 18-50 f2.8 + sigma 70-200 f2.8 , or some canon 'L' lol
    nikon d200 + nikkor 70-200 f2.8 vr + sb600
    nikon d3 + nikkor 28-70 f2.8 + sb800
    nikkor 60 f2.8 + nikkor 70-210 f4 + sigma 15-30

PHOTO EDITING OK
    The Sigma 24-70 2.8 is already on the short list, ideally I will buy this and 1 of the previous mentioned in the near future.
    Canon T1i/Gripped // Canon 7D/Gripped
    Canon EF 300/f4 L IS // EF 70-200/f2.8LIS // EF 24-105/f4L IS // EF-S 17-55/f2.8 IS

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    As has been mentioned, hyperzooms like the Sigma 18-200mm are generally a bad idea. They are long on convenience but short on optical quality. They have their place, if you must travel very light for example, but one of my most compelling reasons for buying a dSLR years ago when I upgraded from my Fuji s602z "bridge camera" was to get better optics.

Moving on from the general, the 18-200mm is a really odd lens. It's "not bad" at 18mm, "awful" at 35mm, "sort of OK" at 50mm, "poor" at 100mm and "all right" at 200mm. Most peculiar. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. Go and read the lens review here

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Canon%20EO...-report--review

and be sure to read all three pages... the resolution figures are quite funny.

I used to own a Canon 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. In fact it was one of the first three lenses I bought to put on my old EOS 10D dSLR. I hated it from day one and I don't think I ever got an image I was truly happy with from it. The fact that the other two lenses I owned were superb and I still have them might have had something to do with it but even so, I thought (and still consider) the 28-135mm to be the worst lens I have ever owned. It became known as "the door stop" because its only use was holding my living room door open in the summer to provide a nice cooling draught. It wasn't even much good at that because it was too light.

In the end I replaced it with a Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di which was a) cheaper and b) infinitely superior - you might want to consider that lens. The Tamron was in turn replaced a few years later by the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM. That wasn't really because the L had better optics, it was just that the focal length range was a better match for what I wanted to do.

What was wrong with the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM? Oh, it was a bit soft particularly round the edges, it lacked contrast, the early generation IS isn't very effective, the wobbly "duo-cam" build quality isn't very nice, it's a bit of a dust-sucker... apart from that it's fine lol

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks Cadwell for the feedback, as always good and to the point - really valued.

But I do still like my Nikon 18-200mm VR

Photographer of sorts
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    If someone came along and forced me to have a hyperzoom I'd probably choose the Nikon 18-200mm VR (apart from the slight snag that it wouldn't fit on my camera), either that or the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM; they're the best of breed at the moment. Fortunately no-one is twisting my arm

I don't really have any lens buying plans at the moment although I do wish someone would come out with a really good 400mm zoom for the Canon mount. The Nikon 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S VR is a very attractive lens and I wish there was something equivalent that I could replace my Canon EF 100-400L IS USM with.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I also like my 18-200VR, but as we discussed in another thread, I'm seriously leaning toward getting an 80-200 f/2.8 in an effort to improve image quality. I'd probably at that point relegate the 18-200 as a "travel light" kit. I've got the Tokina 12-24 at the wide end, a 50mm prime anf the 150mm macro. Ultimately I'd like to fill in the lower end with an f/2.8 zoom, but that's probably later.

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

I would get the 18-200mm, My friend has one on his sony alpha series bodies, the photos from it are great. If your not taking photographs professionally, this is a great lens. I have the 18-125mm for my olympus and its a great little lens for a carry around rig for me.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links