Buyer Beware

This is a discussion on Buyer Beware within the Digital Cameras, Lenses & Accessories forums, part of the PHOTO FORUM category; After seeing Photofiend's post about what happened to him and his mother by the dreaded expresscamera.com scam that many of you may have heard about ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buyer Beware

Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK

Thumbs down

After seeing Photofiend's post about what happened to him and his mother by the dreaded expresscamera.com scam that many of you may have heard about - I wanted to post this link that MOD shared a while back.

Go to this website before buying anything from an online camera shop. It's an online seller rating website where you can read the reviews on tons of online camera stores:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store

When you get to the site look for the little box that says "store ratings" next to it and type in the name of the store to get the ratings.
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great advice, especially during the gift giving season.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Thank you so much for that link. I have purchased items from 47th Street Photo (47stphoto.com) before and luckily I received a full refund when they shipped the wrong item, unlike the poor treatment others have received. I will definately stay away from them in the future.
    Nikon D80, Nikon 18-135, Sigma 70-300, Sigma 28-70, Nikon SB800
    Photoshop Elements 6

Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thank you so much for that link. I have purchased items from 47th Street Photo (47stphoto.com) before and luckily I received a full refund when they shipped the wrong item, unlike the poor treatment others have received. I will definately stay away from them in the future.
    No problme Michele
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

Has anyone had any experience w/ broadwayphoto.com? They have really low prices, and I couldn't find anything on the website that was suspicious- seems like they're on the up & up. Ilooked them up on the website mentioned above, but there's no info, good or about them.

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

Found it- thanks!! I will stay away from them!!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    That website is really helpful. I check with it everytime I buy something on-line. It has saved me numerous times from doing business with a not so trustworthy source. I highly recommend it!
    Colleen

Sony a700
    Sony 18-70 3.5-5.6 kit lens
    Sony 16-35 2.8 Carl Zeiss
    Sony 85mm 1.4 Carl Zeiss
    Sony 50mm 1.4
    Sony 75-300 4.5-5.6
    Sony HVL-F36AM flash
    Alien Bee's B1600, AB800
    Some soft Boxes
    LR3 & CS4

Wow, a 1.43/10. Impressive. I know I probably don't have to say this with that B&H logo haunting me on every page, but it's really difficult to do better than the B&H price usually, and your time is worth something. Sometimes places like Newegg and Compuplus have marginally better pricing, and they're legit, but eh. B&H all the way. One experience from Abe's Of Maine years ago did me in. I hear Abe's may have cleaned up, but the bad taste is still lingering. A long time ago I did sales as well, so I know the tricks some of the dealers used. Luckily for the consumer, the internet makes most of the tricks obsolete. Link plug to Don Wiss below.

This is always a great read:
    http://donwiss.com/pictures/ManhattanStores/
    http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Some of the photos are amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    That website is really helpful. I check with it everytime I buy something on-line. It has saved me numerous times from doing business with a not so trustworthy source. I highly recommend it!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    As you know the tricks some of the dealers used

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links