Help! Wrinkly film.

This is a discussion on Help! Wrinkly film. within the Darkroom forums, part of the FILM PHOTOGRAPHY FORUM category; I recently developed my first roll of 35mm film, and when I pulled it off of the spool, it was fine. As it dried, it ...

I recently developed my first roll of 35mm film, and when I pulled it off of the spool, it was fine. As it dried, it started to wrinkle and develop film streaks. I washed off the film with some room temperature tap water, and that got rid of the streaks, but it was still wrinkly. Does anyone know how to prevent this? There were a few things I forgot to do in the process (Pre-soak, squeegee) and I don't have any wetting agent. Are these major problems? Thanks in advance for your help.

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    None of the items mentioned would result in what you are describing. Is the film itself actually wrinkled or is the emulsion cracked? I would suspect the later as the only way to actually wrinkle the film would be to really horse it around on the reel. I would guess the emulsion is cracked and one very common culprit would be large temperature variations between the chemistry during development. We used to use a very warm developer followed by an extremely cold stop to get that cracked old photo look.

The term is reticulation: Reticulation

Hope this helps
    Capture all the photons you want; the universe will make more.

I tried again, and this time the film curled up (the opposite way that I would load it on the reel). When I tried to flatten it, it physically broke in half. I immersed one half in water, completely ruining it. The film I used was really old, could that be a problem?

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    LOL, I have NEVER heard that before. I'm thinking it must be or you are using some very potent chemistry. Buy a new roll of film and give it a try.
    Capture all the photons you want; the universe will make more.

Quote Originally Posted by DSRay View Post
    LOL, I have NEVER heard that before. I'm thinking it must be or you are using some very potent chemistry. Buy a new roll of film and give it a try.
    That was my plan, hope it works. I have a new roll loaded and ready to go.

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links