Slocum Angels

This is a discussion on Slocum Angels within the Dark Side forums, part of the PHOTO GALLERIES category; The General Slocum was a ferry boat which caught fire in JUne 1904 and took over 1030 lives. It was the worst New York City ...

Thread: Slocum Angels

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    The General Slocum was a ferry boat which caught fire in JUne 1904 and took over 1030 lives. It was the worst New York City disaster before the Sept 11th attacks.

All of the dead. except the crew, were from the German Lutheran community, the vast majority of the dead were women and children. To this day, many of the dead have not even been properly identified.

There are two memorials to the General Slocum disaster in NYC, a stained glass window in St Mark's Church in-the-Bowery, and a large memorial in The Lutheran All-Faiths Cemetery, which serves as the northern border of my neighborhood.

Here are some of the angels of that momentum..

4 - Still visited to this day...

As you can see, I photoshoped them a bit...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    wow.. no one liked these? Please tell me what I'm doing wrong... are they too photoshoped?

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Cool shots. My fave of the lot is the 3rd shot, followed by the 2nd, 4th and the 1st. The crop on the first is a little tight at the top IMO , as one of arms is cut off. Maybe try that one in portrait mode. It looks like a beautiful monument to shoot. NIcely done Ptchfork.

Jen
    Call me A Photo Forum Junky, I don't care!
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Hey PF...

I haven't even gotten through all of the posts that happened from last night at 11pm until present so I didn't even see this one yet.

Lately with the increased traffic some posts are getting buried but I'd give people a little more time and I'm sure they have some feedback

I especially #3. The warm glow is great.
    I like #2 but I'd like to see less of a tight crop if you have the photo with a little more surface area around the statue.
    #4 is a great angle and it has emotion behind it ... I like that one as well.
    #1 is a great composition from that exact vantage point - I just wish the heads weren't cut off on the top of the statue...

Great job overall on these!!

PS: Thanks for sharing the details...I wasn't aware of this terrible tragedy
    http://jenrinaldiphotography.smugmug...85_QHiat-S.jpg
    MYSPACE ~ FLICKR ~ DEVIANT ART ~ JPG
    Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm |
    Minolta 35-105mm
    "When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." ~Ansel Adams
    PHOTO FORUM WEEKLY THEME
    PHOTO FORUM PHOTOGRAPHY CHALLENGE

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Thanks guys (& MOD) I was a bit worried because theses are the first real photoshoped ones I've done.

Paint the sky with desire
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Some very nice shots PF!

I agree with the others, the crop in the first image is a bit tight.

I wasn't sure about the 2nd image. I thought it was a bit flat to begin with, but it's growing on me the more I look at it.
    Colblue's Blog[/url]

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links