Boy am I ticked!!!

This is a discussion on Boy am I ticked!!! within the The Creative Side forums, part of the Casual Chat category; Yesterday was perfect for some long exposure work. I hacked and sawed my way through the thick woods. I took my new camera back pack ...

PHOTO EDITING OK

Smile

Yesterday was perfect for some long exposure work.

I hacked and sawed my way through the thick woods. I took my new camera back pack with the neato tripod holder on the side.
    I was doing a trial run with it to see how comfy it may be while hiking in Hawai'i this next week.

I took 35 photos. About 20 were long exposure. I got some great shots of Morris too.

I came back and downloaded off my pointy shooty 2G SDHC card just fine.
    I retrieved 4 photos off my Nikon D40 which has a 4G SDHC card. Then I saw a black image with red letters that said invalid format then I got an error message from windows. In fact Windows Live shut down.
    EEEKS!

Crap.
    I've used this card for about 4 months. Perhaps it is corrupted?
    I've since reformatted it and it seems fine.

BUT.
    I am leaving for Hawai'i soon and do not want to take a defective card, should I replace it?
    Just curious as to anyone's opinions.

I looked at recovery software, but was not convinced that since these photos can be re-taken that I needed to down load that...

*I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

Equipment
    Canon, Cambro/Calumet
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I feel your pain Val. I have never (knock on wood) had a card fail yet so I can't offer much other than sympathy. As I have posted before, my comfort level with storage devices is 1 Gb of which I have quit a few and while it won't stop a bad card it does limit your losses. While traveling I carry a USB stick that I can plug my mem card into and download to my laptop so if there is a problem, I know right then. I also reformat the card in the camera after I download it.
    Capture all the photons you want; the universe will make more.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I am taking my laptop so will be downloading photos each day.
    I also am taking 2 p&s cameras while they have not had issues yet and I actually used them yesterday ... got some nice shots with them too.

I'll check into a stick like that...which reminds me to take my old mem card reader for my OLD camera that is coming!
    Thanks!

Val
    *I believe in God, only I spell it Nature. ~Frank Lloyd Wright, quoted, 14 August 1966*

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    You're probably okay if the reformatted card is working, but I'd watch it carefully.

I change cards often, if my feeble old mind is working. I have several high capacity cards. I like them . I need them if I am shooting three bracketed HDR shots. I also shoot in both raw and high quality, which means that sometimes I am taking six shot all at once . Need the capacity. Have a nice trip.

PHOTO EDITING OK
    I am well armed with cards new and reformatted. I will be bracketing of course, but I have the luxury of back up cameras.
    I normally take more than one shot with more than one kind of camera.

Call me nuts, but with card errors always a possibility, I've been saved!

LOL

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Hope you have a great time in Hawaii and can't wait to see the beautiful photographs I know you'll take!

Cheri

Happy Shooting, Cheri

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Cards are cheap. Why chance it. If it's a 4 GB or 8 GB card it's worth the peace of mind to get rid of it, or at least put it off to the side. I use 8GB chips for the most part with 1 16-GB card but I still have an old 1 GB card just in case I fill up all 48 GB and need just a little more room. Tag it, bag it, and leave it for last, but not on anything critical.

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Check...extra cards packed.

Aloha...see you soon.

Assorted cameras.
    P&S
    Nikon D40
    Olympus E-420

My Flickr

Mulewings~My Blog
    Val

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links