`preset my focal length`....????

This is a discussion on `preset my focal length`....???? within the Composition forums, part of the Photography Tips category; HI iīm reading "Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson" (what a great book) and would like to compose a `story telling`exposure/shot with a fore, middle and ...

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    HI

iīm reading "Understanding exposure by Bryan Peterson" (what a great book) and would like to compose a `story telling`exposure/shot with a fore, middle and backgroung and he talks about īpresetting the focal lengthī... using a wide angle zoom!!! OK, so i turn my lense to ie 2ft but when i push the shutter release button it automattically focuses itself!!! if i put it in manual focus itīs just blurry and when i push the AE-L AF-L button itīs also blurry... HOW DO I PRESET THE FOCAL LENGTH???

appreciate any feedback, thanks

Nikon D90, kit lens Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 55-200mm VR, Nikon 50mm 1:1.8, Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro, Cullman Nanomax 250 tripod

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Set the camera to manual - what model is it?

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    • Put your camera on a tripod.
    • Set camera to manual
    • Set aperture, speed, and ISO to desired values (providing those values actually work with your lighting)
    • focus on something at 2ft using the AF
    • turn off auto focus on the lens
    • shoot picture

method 2
    • Set camera to manual
    • Set aperture, speed, and ISO to desired values (providing those values actually work with your lighting)
    • manually focus lens ( every lens I know of can be manually focused but I there are probably some that can't be)
    • shoot picture

charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    [quote]
    • Set camera to manual
    • focus on something at 2ft using the AF
    • shoot picture

method 2
    • Set camera to manual
    • manually focus lens ( every lens I know of can be manually focused but I there are probably some that can't be)
    • shoot picture

BINGO, thanks for the info charles!!!! why didnīt i think of that (no1)haha. am sticking to manual mode for the time being, as much as possible to get to know the camera etc a bit better but manual focus just doesnīt seem to like me!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again
    matthew

Nikon D90, kit lens Nikon 18-55mm VR, Nikon 55-200mm VR, Nikon 50mm 1:1.8, Tamron 90mm 2.8 Macro, Cullman Nanomax 250 tripod

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireman View Post
    Set the camera to manual - what model is it?
    nikon d90, thanks for the help but i think i got the info i was after!!!!!!!!!!

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    I do this all the time because when I'm in a church shooting into those dark corners I can't always keep the auto focus from doing an infinite search. So I keep pressing the button until I get a focus lock (beep). Once I have a focus lock, I turn off the AF and shoot the picture with my electronic remote.

Charles
    I currently spend a fair amount of time on Google Plus: https://plus.google.com/103236949470535942612

my personal website (not very current I'm afraid): clupica and family
    my photogarphy : cwlupica - Photograher
    my photos on SmugMug. StudioLupica on SmugMug
    me on facebook: Charles Lupica
    My fan page on facebook: StudioLupica

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by clupica View Post
    I do this all the time because when I'm in a church shooting into those dark corners I can't always keep the auto focus from doing an infinite search. So I keep pressing the button until I get a focus lock (beep). Once I have a focus lock, I turn off the AF and shoot the picture with my electronic remote.

Charles
    worked a heck of a lot better....problem is my lense now hahaha!!! need more lenses, only joking, but my wide angle is only 50mm!!! will do for now. thanks again

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by wehttam View Post
    ....problem is my lense now hahaha!!! need more lenses, only joking, but my wide angle is only 50mm!!! will do for now. thanks again
    If you're married you'd better think of some good reasons why you want to spend the money on lenses!!

Graydon

South Lincs UK
    Canon 7D | Sigma 10-20mm | Canon 24-105mm L | Canon 70-300mm L

India Trip | My Flickr Pages | My RedBubble Pages

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesgj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wehttam View Post
    ....problem is my lense now hahaha!!! need more lenses, only joking, but my wide angle is only 50mm!!! will do for now. thanks again
    If you're married you'd better think of some good reasons why you want to spend the money on lenses!!
    hahahahaha!!!

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links