Photogram Question!

This is a discussion on Photogram Question! within the Composition forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Trying to add a smoke effect to my photogram. What materials can i use to achieve this effect? Thanks!...

Trying to add a smoke effect to my photogram.

What materials can i use to achieve this effect?

Thanks!

PHOTO EDITING OK
    you could have smoke, but it may be too light to create the effect. Maybe if you throw some sand or flour, it would make it slightly, but it wouldn't look like natural smoke.
    ~Paula

Translucent cloth or fabric? I've used wrinkled plastic wrap in making photograms. Different looks depending on how it was shaped and layered. That's where I'd start. What about a glass pan filled with different opacity liquids that don't mix all the way?

"I donít use an exposure meter. My personal advice is: Spend the money you would put into such an instrument for film. Buy yards of film, miles of it. Buy all the film you can get your hands on. And then experiment with it. That is the only way to be successful in photography. Test, try, experiment, feel your way along. It is the experience, not technique, which counts in camera work first of all. If you get the feel of photography, you can take fifteen pictures while one of your opponents is trying out his exposure meter." -Alfred Eisenstaedt

PHOTO EDITING OK
    dry ice maybe?
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. - Gandhi

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Quote Originally Posted by artzyfartzy1 View Post
    dry ice maybe?
    I do not thing dry ice would be opaque enough. Do you want billowy or swirly smoke?

For swirly smoke with ortho paper, maybe try drops of red-colored glycerin in a pan filled or on glass plate coated with mineral oil. You may need to mix glycerin with water to get the right thickness or viscocity.

In theory, anyway, drops of glycerin or glycerin solution will fall to the bottom. You could then slowly stir or otherwise manipulate the glycerin layer to create smoke effects. Maybe build up layers with green colored glycerine. Using other techniques, like crinkled transluscent material, ect, you might be able to get some smokey effects?

I don't know if it would work, but you'd prob get something interesting even of not smoke.
    bear with me. i don't have an escape button...

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links