Picture Within A Picture

This is a discussion on Picture Within A Picture within the Composition forums, part of the Photography Tips category; Here's a couple of pictures from a recent article I wrote on photo composition on "finding the picture within a picture". The picture below is ...

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Here's a couple of pictures from a recent article I wrote on photo composition on "finding the picture within a picture".

The picture below is of the carpenter's shop at the restored Ft. Vancouver complex in Vancouver, WA. It's an OK snap shot.

[attachmentid=22174]

But exploring the building close up reveals hidden photographs that are much more personal and compelling (to me anyway). The picture below is of a single knot in the building's siding. It's called "The Carpenter's Eye". I found the optical illusion of the "eye" looking both to the left and straight ahead very intriguing and "eye" catching.

[attachmentid=22175]

Hope you enjoy this "picture within a picture".

Hub
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."
    Visit Hub's Photo Educational & News Sites

Hub's Camera -- For the beginning DLSR User
    Hub's iDarkroom -- For starting in the digital darkroom
    Hub's Photo Tips -- General Tips for beginning DLSR User
    Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

PHOTO EDITING OK
    That is so uncanny! Usually when the "lets make this look like a eye" thing is done it all goes south. This, nothing had to be done but look at what was before you. This is what I really like about photography. So did you look at the shot you took to find this, or did you walk up to the building and see it there?

Another one out of the park HUB!
    BUY IT FROM OUR CAMERA STORE!

Nikon D200 came with 70-300 mm 1:4.5 lens......AF-S NIKKOR 17-55mm 1:2.8 (wide)......AF-S NIKKOR 50MM 1:1.4G
    Nikon D300 came with AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor ED 200-400 mm f/4 G IF
    Mamiya RB67 with 90mm f/3.5 180mm f/4.5

My flicker page

Administrator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Great tip Thank you, Hub!
    Admin

PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    Exellent work Hub! I truly love this shot and your keen eye for finding that hidden gem amazes me.
    Something to learn from for sure.
    MIKE

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Glad everyone enjoyed the hidden image.

AKD200. Actually, as I walked up to the building, my eye was caught by the number of well defined knots in the wood siding. As I looked at them more closely, I eventually saw this image.

Except for double checking the histogram when I was taking this picture and cropping the image in Photoshop, no post-processing manipulation/enhancement was performed.

Thanks again,

Hub
    "There was once a time when Ansel Adams knew nothing about photography. There's hope for all of us."

Hub's Visionary Photographers -- Images and words of wisdom from today's elite photographers
    Hub's Rising Stars of Photography -- Promoting the art and careers of today's emerging photographers
    The Portland Metro Photographic News -- All Things Photographic in Oregon and Washington

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING NOT OK
    That knot is unreal, well spotted now we all going to be opening our eyes I hope

Super Moderator
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    Love it, Hub.

How about we roll this into a challenge?

“Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that,
    behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.
    Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.”
    (Albert Einstein)

My friends call me John
    PHOTO EDITING OK
    I have opened the window to look at this about 40 times. It is such an intriguing image...I wish it was light enough and warm enough to go out looking right now...I am sure there is something like that hiding beneath all this snow.

I agree with Grandpa. This should be a challenge
    Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.
    Henri Cartier Bresson

PHOTO EDITING OK
    Dane,

Sounds like an outstanding idea.

And I don't even have to search through my files to locate a picture to enter. Better yet.

Be interesting to see what others come up with.

Hub

•  

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links